View Single Post
Old 01-19-2004, 11:07 PM
Chi159
Master Fan

Nice to see a fellow Cubs fan at this board! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Is this the Cubbies’ year? I certainly hope so. It would have been nice to pick up the bat and defense that Pudge Rodriguez brings behind the plate, but I definitely think GM Jim Hendry has made enough moves to make the Cubs NL contenders again. Getting rid of Alfonsucka, Estes, Veres, Guthrie and Miller were excellent, let alone the signings of Hawkins and Mercker to bolster the bullpen. I also think he got two steals in Derrek Lee and Todd Walker. My only concern right now is not having a legitimate lead-off hitter. Losing Kenny Lofton to the Yank-me’s really hurts. He did a great job at the top of the order last season. I’m not sure Patterson or Grudz will be able to fill his void.

If Hendry is somehow able to convince Maddux to finish his career with the Cubs, then it would be pretty hard to bet against the Cubs’ starting rotation. On paper, the North Siders are contenders, but we Cubs fans know better than to expect a World Series championship. That’s what 95 years of heartbreak will do to you.

Let's go Cubs!!!