View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 03:34 PM
wolkenfuehlen
Elite Fan

You know, to my shame I have to admit I never paid any attention to what was written on the blackboard - or if I did I simply forgot about it again.

How odd that the phrase in ep 1 is a lyric though, and not a literary quote. I am absolute crap with song meanings and such, so thank you for that link. I did like what it said on that website, especially this part:

Quote:
And so, love can in the end fall victim to the banalities of human nature. Which is why we must strive to be "true, like ice, like fire" lest we lose love's great capacity to heal, bind, and reveal.
I think this you can see at least in certain parts of the show. Those unwritten rules of what is "allowed" and "accepted", and what isn't. It's such a big deal for the poor boy from town that he is not on the same "level" as the rich girl he likes, and so he makes up lies that in the end almost ruin their relationship before it even started. Or the boy who thinks he's gay and beats himself up over it for half a season, and only when he admits his feelings and is "true" to himself and to the boy (well, girl) he likes does he find love.