View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Bob the Jeep
Part-Time Fan

I'd like to think that the aliens did have souls, but there is conflicting evidence in the books. The whole thing with dead people in the CC muddles things up.

"The ocean was made of auras...[Max] heard a single word from the two presences closest to him...Son...But his parents...his parents were dead...So this meant he wasn't only connecting with all those who lived on his home planet. He was connecting to the spirits of the dead as well." - The Intruder (cc pg. 5)

As soon as Max connects to the CC, he is touched first by his parents, then some random aliens, then by Ray Iburg. The longer he stays connected, the more presences crowd around him and almost immediately he looses contact with his parents and Ray.

I don't think Max ever makes contact with his parents again after this. I could be wrong, but they seemingly disappear. Ray, too. This is a little strange to me. Max had never met his parents before in his life; wouldn't they try to have some kind of connection or reunion?

Perhaps the reason why the parents and Ray don't reappear is because they have 'moved on'. Their bodies perished in the crash in 1947. That would leave their mind. Perhaps they could remove their mind from the CC at any point after physical death and thus completely die. At that point, the soul would move on to the afterlife.

Of course, that is probably just wishful thinking on my part. I don't think the books give much evidence for the existence of the soul (at least for the aliens).

The most likely reason why Ray and the parents never show up again is the culture of the alien race. If every being is a part of the CC after their akinos (excluding the Kindred), then, in essence, every being would belong to one another. There is no privacy and there is no ownership. So there would really be no need for families, either--at least not in the sense that we think of them. It is clear that Max's parents love him, but to what extent?

Also, the CC is comprised of so many beings that Max is constantly bombarded by the minds of other aliens. Perhaps their auras made it too hard for Max and his parents to reunite. They'd have to find each other through all the people.

But then why was it so easy for Michael and Max to find each other? Hmm...perhaps because they shared the same conduit to the CC. ?

Just some thoughts...

Roswell High |Seldomtold
Bob the Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote