View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 04:19 PM
smeagolkitten
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addison Breathtakingly Beautiful (View Post)
a question.. would you girls also still ship them if Violet was still doing all those things but not being ill and and the katie thing never happened?
If she had done all those things without Katie and the PTSD I would defy Shonda's reality and create my own, like I did with Gilmore Girls mid season 6 and Stargate Atlantis mid season 5. The way Shonda are doing it right now, things are bad, but at the same time I can understand where she is going with it. There might come a time down the road where I say "enough of this, Shonda", and I really thought ep 9 would be that time, but when I saw the scene I rather went "hm, okay"

My intention here is not to say that Violet's actions are okay from every perspective, it is not a good thing that Pete got hurt, but I won't condemn her for actions that I on some level can understand.

Here is how I see things:
Pete was the one who left first (I understand his reasons, and I don't fault him for it, but he still left her). How was she supposed to interpret that? Especially with her mind affected by the PTSD. I have occasionary depressions myself when when I am *in* that place I interpret every single word and action from the people around me negatively. When I am in that rut I am convinced that even my best friend hates me (and we are freakishly close, like sisters). I don't even want to imagine where Violet's mind is at.

Not very long afterwards he started working downstairs (again, for understandable reasons), something that clearly upset her. So from where I stand, in her mind Pete had called it quits first.

I am not looking to villainize Pete, cause that is not how I feel at all. He had reasons to do what he did, and they were honorable, but that doesn't mean Violet doesn't have reasons for what she does.

I'm getting a bit tired of some of this constant damnation of Violet, when there are highly beloved male characters in Shondaland that have done worse. I wonder if for instance Mark Sloan (just to pick a relatively easy example) had been a woman, if he then would've had the same following. Me thinks a female version of Mark would've gotten the ****-stamp pretty much instantly. (side-note: I like Mark, but he does have a much, much longer list of sins than Violet, and no real reason for them, either)