View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 PM
indigo sunrise
Fan Forum Hero

My books came in the mail! I got my own version of Moonwalk finally, Before he was King, and yes... I gave in and bought Tarraborrelli's book. Only cause it was on sale! But I'm confident enough in my general Mike knowledge that I won't let it sway me one bit

I wanted to share a passage from Before he was King now, which is just.. perfect. It holds the most beautiful photographs of him, and so many cute anecdotes and especially to me, being a photographer myself, it's very interesting to read what Todd Gray but also Michael himself have to say about the technical aspects of shooting those pictures!

Anyway, this made me smile so much (graciously copying this from someone on tumblr who was kind enough to type it out!)

Quote:
Michael showed me his newly finishd private theater, complete with plush red velvet seats. I thought his blue sweater would complement the deep red, and I asked him to take a seat and pretend as if he were watching a movie. “Which movie?” he asked. I said, “It doesn’t matter. Any movie will do.” But Michael insisted: “Todd, you’ve got to tell me which movie I’m supposed to be watching if you want a reaction from me.” Okay, what about a Charlie Chaplin comedy, I suggested. “Which one?” Michael asked. “He’s made so many you know.” My mind went black; luckily my assistant shouted out; “Modern Times!” Michael responded, “Okay, which part?” Exasperated, I said “Michael, it’s a comedy, just laugh!”It was getting late and we were all tired and a little punchy, but Michael was having fun with all this. “Well,” he began,”if you want me to laugh, then you have to tell me a joke. But you said you wanted me to act like I’m watching a movie. Which is it you want?” Finally I gave up and made a ridiculous clown face, which made him laugh.

I've looked through Moonwalk too and I was surprised to see many pictures that I hadn't actually seen before. I didn't think there were that many left! I'm so glad to be proven wrong though, it's epic. I've read the original version, but this copy also holds a very moving foreword by Berry Gordy, and also a lovely, lovely epilogue by the ghostwriter of the book. She talks about meeting Michael, getting to spend time with him, at one passage she recalls how they were out on the town quite late after they had gone to an amusement park, and Michael asked the driver to stop at the Hollywood walk of fame, he got out, danced and sung on his own star.. and then they drove on... she has a few more stories like that, it's so so sweet.

All in all.. those two books are totally worth buying