View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 09:46 PM
n.ro
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadthebestforgettherest (View Post)
I still can't believe the ending for these two. Maybe it's fresh in my mind since I just finished S7. I mean it was obvious that Luke/Lorelai were endgame, but at the beginning of S7 I actually felt like the writers were going to give Chris and Lore a shot. At least S7 gave us some fabulous memories. C/L were really the only bright light in that season since I thought the dialogue and even the way the scenes were shot was just subpar that season. Amy and Dan's absence was pretty noticeable. (And of course the writers had to screw over both my fave couples...I was a Rory/Dean fan but Logan won me over with his wit and cuteness and the way he obviously thought the world of Rory. Sigh...)

Oh well, the saving grace of DVDs is you can watch the episodes you love and pretend the ones you hate just don't exist.
The C/L breakup in S7 is one of the stupidest breakups ever and was clearly dictated by the writers' need to reunite Luke and Lorelai by the end of the season. Lorelai seemed schizophrenic about her marriage, and Chris never did anything worth getting divorced over - unless you consider not being in touch for a 24-hour period due to a bad fight over your new wife's unresolved feelings for a former fiance a deal-breaker. If anything, S7 made Lorelai look bad, not Chris.

I think the problem the writers ran into was that Chris, once he got a steady job and became responsible, was actually a really good match for Lorelai. They got along really well, were lifelong friends, enjoyed the same things, and had a child together. So why Lorelai would be so sure that Luke was not just the one, but the only one, was kind of stretching credibility. At that point, the show was was asking us to take a leap of faith that Lorelai's feelings were always right - but I think the show by then had provided more than enough reason not to believe that Lorelai's feelings always led her to good decisions.