View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 11:08 PM
mr.simpatico
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsilentMajorty
The Pilot wasn't bad.

The show has a great premise: The daughter of Satan searching for her mortal mother in a small, New Jersey town (basically, The O.C. meets Needful Things).
I actually thought it was pretty bad. Compare it say to the pilot for Veronica Mars which was so much better written.

You were thinking along the same lines as me about the comparison though. I was more like The O.C meets Twin Peaks starring the Aryan daughter of Max Von Sydow's Devil-Character from the movie Needful Things.

The writing is very unsubtle. The scene at the end replaying Grant Show and EvilDaddy talking about Christina's "destiny" was so condescending to the viewers. Did they thought we would forget they just had that same scene about this a half hour ago. And having the Devil's Spawn named "Christina" (as in "Christ"-ina) was about as subtle as an anvil and why introduce so many plots and characters all of a sudden? What happened to the thing called mystery? Are the writers so sure they're going to be canceled? Also who lets strange teenagers, fished out of the sea, come stay at their house on an indefinite basis without even talking to their parents and knowing nothing about them. Come on now!

The casting is all wrong too. You would think Noxon having been a member of the snarky Whedon-verse ME gang wouldn't go for the same old formula of casting people who look thirty as teenagers. When Sam Page's mom (formerly the college age daughter from Coach) first shown up I thought she was his sister, cause she sure as heck don't look like he's young enough to be her son. Although I may be biased here since I remember when Page played Trey on All My Children and he was already an adult lawyer then and that was YEARS ago. A shame since they have a talented cast (well the older folk at least) - FauxDrake from 24, Susan Walters from Dear John, Grant Show (who can do smug and evil surprising well) and the still gorgeous Dina Meyer who I've loved since Starship Troopers and who I'm still convinced can be a series lead even after Birds of Prey flopped. But the writing just isn't there.

Also as a native NYer who lives minutes away from New Jersey I never knew it looked so much like California. Only in Hollywood.