View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 06:28 PM
JusW
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy (View Post)
I personally find it hard to believe that someone would have that big an effect on her (or on anyone, really) after a couple of dialogues and glances. I definitely think it's a direct reflection of her vulnerabilties based on what she's going through at home. I'm saying that because of how fast things happened. If we had seen this kind of interaction at the end of the season, after more build up, I would've bought it as it being about them more for sure. But by the way things are going right now, I think she's just reflecting her issues.
That's the thing though. Sometimes all it takes is a spark. To attempt to explain why someone is attracted to someone else - whether physically or emotionally is akin to asking someone to explain the purpose of life. I know from my own experience that it can be the most inane things which first draw me to a person - like the way she looks at me for example - which kick-starts an attraction that then causes me, almost immediately, to act in ways I ordinarily would not. And yes, it may well be Effy's issues at home which have opened her up to this possibility. That's neither here nor there really. Doesn't mean this possibility doesn't exist for her, it just means that a combination of family life, plus a chance encounter with the appropriate individual has allowed her to express this side to her personality which previously she felt the need to keep hidden.

In any respect, whether you agree with that, or disagree and feel that there needs to be a bigger hullabaloo in explaining why someone is attracted to someone else, or why someone has a particular effect on someone else, to suggest that the first option is just poor writing is to deny the genius of many literary greats who have utilised the first mechanism extensively as a literary and story telling device.