View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Belle08
New Fan

You know? I fully understand people’s dislike towards Brenner on the ‘Reela’ scale. Yes, when characters get in the way of a fandom, there is bound to be backlash. I hated Tony Gates (and still kind of harbor something against him) because of S13. With Gates and Neela, I felt like there was no build up…just a bunch of steaminess with nicknames and weird looks.

I feel like Simon and Neela do have chemistry (and you all are free to disagree with me). And if there were no Ray in the picture, I would love for Simon and Neela to be together.
I find that in their case, Simon and Neela, there was a build up. (Nothing to the extent of the Roomie-ship, of course). Yes, it was short and yes it kind of came from left field. But there was definite attention given to their budding friendship in every episode of the season (minus Heal Thyself, I think), showing the importance that the writers wanted to give. It’s kind of text-book romantic comedy writing – starting out in an ‘awkward shag’ (which in and of itself shows an attraction) to a sort of love/hate relationship on the woman’s side, turning into friendship (while the man continues to lightly pursue), turning into a relationship (where the woman finally relents).

All of that being said, I do think that Simon’s character has genuine feelings for Neela. They came about quickly (but sometimes those things happen), yes, but they’re there. And the intensity of his feelings? Well, he's liked her longer than she's liked him, i believe. He's had more time to consider her with romantic value, thus making him more invested. Sadly, relationships are hardly ever 50-50. I think he’s genuinely trying to be a good companion to her, trying to do things for her that he thinks she’ll like. Prime example: promising a trip to Venice. I don’t think that’s stalkerish. I think it’s sweet, a little much, but i think he's not looking at his relationship with Neela as a fling (like many of us fans are) and therefore, sees no problem with a trip. It's a definite reflection to what David was quoted saying “Simon’s doing everything he can to let Neela know he’s right for her.”

Romantically speaking, sometimes it takes a love interest to change someone. Mix that with the reminders of horrific experiences in the past for him and the environment that they work in, Simon was sure to come to humanity some time or another. TPTB chose to do it then and in that way. I think there are still things haunting him and they will come to fruition later on, I’m sure. But as of right now, I believe that he really cares for her the way he knows how. Unfortunately for him, although she seems to care about him a good bit, it is quite apparent that he is more into it than she is.
To be truthful I'm sure that the writers have things up their sleeves. There’s a reason why they’re doing this love-triangle sort of thing. I’m sure that they wouldn’t disrespect the support that roomie-fans have given over the years by allowing Neela to not be endgame with her Ray.

Last edited by Belle08; 02-20-2009 at 12:07 PM