View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm Not Dead
Elite Fan

I don't know what to make of Brenner. I don't hate him, that's for sure. All I can say is that David Lyons seems like a very nice guy, so I hope he hasn't read half the negativity online about Brenner. I would hate for him to take it personally.

Quote:
This happens with every fandom of all TV shows I believe.
I agree. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are.

I think what makes the Brenner hate so strong is that he has changed beyond recognition from his first appearance last season. I remember Season 14 ending and thinking, "What an aggravating character. I can't stand this guy!" Now, if last night's episode was the first ER episode I ever saw, I would probably think he was a really good guy. It is mindboggling how much he has changed in a year. So if someone is both a fan of continuity in character development, and a fan of Ray and Neela together, then Brenner isn't going to stand a chance.

I remember that I didn't like Ray at the start of Season 11. I didn't like Pratt at the end of Season 8/during Season 9. I sure as hell didn't like Luka in Season 9 either. But what made me like all three of these characters by the time they left the show is that they simply grew up, got their acts together, and made positive steps in their lives.

Brenner hasn't gotten over his demons. He hasn't really grown up or put the stuff, which made him so unlikeable at first, behind him either. He has simply buried it and I think it is going to have to resurface before I can make my mind up about the character.

One thing I can't get behind is all the Neela hate/anger I see from some people all over the Web. She bugged me in Season 10 for being such a bookworm, but Neela became a favourite of mine towards the end of Season 11/beginning of Season 12. Parminder is such a talented actress that I can buy into any choice Neela makes. Having said that, I watched Parminder on British television for years before ER, so maybe I'm a little biased in pro-Neela.