View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 03:21 PM
kaleidocat
Elite Fan

The best episode of the season so far. This is why I watch Degrassi. Nice pace, nice setting up of a new character for future storylines, fresh perspective of a gay character, a bit of controversy, addressing of embarrassing coming of age issues, and of course a little bit of quirkiness that lets us make jokes about the manhandling of sex toys and how Spike didn’t get her vibrator back (I am so concerned about that!).

I believe in Riley’s character...yup I'm his little cheerleader. I think it’s fabulous that we are getting a different perspective on what it’s like to be gay and things aren’t wrapping up in a half hour. I think his journey is going to be the stand out plot of season 8 and hopefully the writers have enough sense to keep going with it into season 9. I think there’s a never ending list of possibilities for events that he can go through. I wish I had remained unspoiled because I think that would have been a huge bomb to announce that the alpha male, popular jock is gay and get people to questioning all the forms that gay people do come in. Riley’s story is going to be an important one.

I find him likeable and full of layers and things to question. I’m sure some fans of the show are quick to dismiss him as a jerk and say “oh I don’t like what he did.” But they are missing a huge part of the story - why is he that way and what makes him tick? I think it was a lovely touch for him to have all this anger towards Peter and the blame is a loaded issue. It’s easier to be angry at Peter than to admit that he hates himself for having an attraction to a person of the same sex. There was also the utter heartbreak of Riley seeing Peter kiss Mia. Come on, you can’t tell me your heart didn’t go out to him. I hope there's more Peter and Riley interaction...and I think you all know what kind I want.