View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 12:32 AM
'Tos
Master Fan

Brothers & Sisters

Start the parade, I actually liked it. Probably my favourite of the season. Lots of good family interaction, very minimal soap. Kitty/Nora's road trip (road trip's are this show's savior) was fantastic. They've got such a great bond. Nora going off to yell at Dead William was hilarious, especially when she said "You never loved anyone else but you and your stupid penis" (I think you got it right, Betty. Definitely got the biggest laugh out of me all ep). Very subtle, Nora. Hee. And I liked Robert and Kitty's final conversation at the end about the baby. All good from a Nora/Kitty standpoint tonight.

I also liked Sarah's story, and then going to the office and cutely sticking her tongue out at Tommy. Again, family emphasis. What a surprise, a show all about family actually having an episode about family is actually good.

Justin/Rebecca are still awful, but damn did Emily look hooot in the first scene with about as much skin as she's ever revealed on TV. And then their final scene, Emily looked all adorable too. Plus she got to have a scene with Kevin! *jumps for joy* Rebecca: "I know you're a bigger man" Kevin: "Actually I'm not. I'm small and petty". Hee! I've been asking for a scene between them for too long, and it was so worth it. More!

The soapiest part up until the end was Tommy and Kevin's slap fight ending with them choosing the worst moment to stumble into the addiction meeting. I can handle that. It's pretty tired comedy at this point, but as far as it's soapiness, it was based on a previously established story and it fit the tone of the show.

Unlike the ending. Why would they end a perfectly fine episode with yet another Ryan cliffhanger? Agghhh. *takes a deep breath* That's three episodes in a row, at least, of Ryan at the end. Unbelievable.

Quote:
Why is it that Rebecca and Justin had more kissing scenes in this episode than Amy and Ephram had in 4 seasons of Everwood?!?
Because Justin and Rebecca thought they were related of course! Don't you know that's the secret to sexual chemistry according to Berlanti?

Belle & Sebastian

Quote:
Hey, now that you know B&S's general sound and all (and you have to post when you hear more, because I'd be really interested in your take on The Boy With the Arab Strap), is there anyone kind of similar you could recommend, with that '60s influence? I mean, besides actual artists from the '60s, because I'm pretty good there already, heh.
I will definitely be posting more about what I think about them as I listen. It's fun. I did read a scathing, scathing review on The Boy With the Arab Strap, but also some good ones, so I'm looking forward to trying it out myself. Unless it's a complete departure from their sound with their level of experimentation (I'm really impressed with that thus far) I doubt I'll agree with much in the scathing review.

Hmm, as far as anyone similar. I'll have to give that some thought, but off the top of my head I can't really think of any. To be honest, I really only got into indy music with any seriousness in the last, oh, six to eight months, so to me Belle & Sebastian's sound is pretty unique for any new artists. Which may show how completely out of the loop I am currently on most indy music, heh, but I'm getting better. Slowlllly.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood

Last edited by 'Tos; 11-03-2008 at 12:40 AM