View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Alexander
Elite Fan

Here is my review of the SV Season 8 Premiere Episode

The Good: Well, there is something awesome about every season premiere that SV has done. Some have been the best episodes, or near the best episodes that I can remember. This one, was big. Just a huge episode, lots of sets, big cast, lots of action, guest stars and plots to wrap up and move on out. As we know, usually SV knows how to do "big episodes". I have to give credit to the entire cast, creative team, sound/visual effects, editors, just everyone did an exceptional job for the most part.

I like Tess' character so far. I think we should all be careful and give her character time to develop before we judge her too quick as a one dimentional henchman replacement for Lex. Here is the other thing...you can't replace Lex Luthor. You just can't. Michael Rosenbaum will have a special place in the hearts and minds of all SV fans, b/c he left us with one of the most memorable versions of Lex Luthor, to last a lifetime. Tess will be interesting, she is interesting. I know she creeped me out, that stare, not sure if that's contacts or what, but the stare is enough to make you think

Bringing Justin Hartley on as a cast member is going to pay off, it's already payed off in a big way. I've always felt that Clark needs a brother like figure that he can trust, that knows his secret, his true identity to encourage him and push him on the way to becoming superman. There is good scene presence between Tom and Justin. They play well against each other in scenes. It's two iconic characters. Two brothers of the Justice League. What more can you ask for? Yeah I know...some tights and a cape...and flying!

Nice work to have Black Canary and Aquaman make an appearance and aid in the search for Clark. Alana has pretty much blown us away as Black Canary...and while Aquaman can be better, he wasn't bad. I really wanted to see "Impulse", b/c I feel that Clark is like a big brother there and it's a good place to go for humor, etc, but I guess scheduling conflicts, or whatever got in the way. Hey, at least they go mentioned! Continuity alert! Maybe SV can still be saved So we got a Cyborg and Impulse mentions!

Lots of different good locations were used, and they spanned the globe. This episode felt almost like a big feature film. You had "Russia", "The Arctic", "Montana", "Metropolis" and "Smallville all included. Only in a premiere can you get that kind of international setting. Again, the budget is still there, that's why I applaud them for not saving it but giving the fans an excellent big opening to the season.

I felt that Tom Welling delivered a very solid performance. He is beyond comfortable with playing the role now, but I did feel that taking away his powers was kind of redundant, and they didn't do a good job of "explaining how" he made it as far as he did. I guess Martian Manhunter got him to that boat or not? It was a bit of a stretch.

So glad that Chloe is getting a new more interesting ability this time around. The "super hacking" power as we know, was the result of Brainiac trying to put her in a trance, etc or learn information from her? One way or another...she is going to be WatchTower more than ever in S8. I think it leaves a lot of possibilities for her, and giving her a romance arc with Jimmy's proposal will only increase her storylines, and make her that much more interesting to watch. You know something is going to happen!

Last but not least...I'm beyond happy with what they've done so far in one episode with Erica and Lois Lane. This is what we've all been waiting for, Lois Lane fans Enjoy these moments. I think I got chills when I saw the Lois/Clark scene at the Daily Planet. Love the name plates. The whole dynamic between Tom and Erica as investigative team is off the charts. Looking forward to a season full of that, friendly banther, Lois getting in trouble, Clark saving her, and more banther

The Bad: OK, I do have one major gripe. I'm sorry to see Martian Manhunter written off the way they did it. Yes I get the need to "put the character on the shelf, and bring him back maybe for the season finale", but I really enjoyed Phil Morriss' portrayal and I would have liked to see a bit more. Still, a pretty iconic scene in the loft...and I know for a second I could have sworn he handed Clark a red cape...but no, it's that darn indestructable jacket of his! Where can I get one of those, seriously? Anyone? I've been searching for that red jacket b/c I'm going as Clark Kent this halloween. I've already got the shoes, jeans, blue t-shirt, so I need that darn red jacket

The Ugly: One thing only. Not one single Kara mention, will get you a nomination for this category. Clark is worried about everyone else but his own flesh on blood? I don't get it. They mentioned Justice League members that couldn't be in the premiere, but couldn't mention Kara? Not even a line, like where is Kara? I guess nobody cares but me!

Overall...I give "Odyssey" a very strong 4 out of 5!

Great job on the reviews and comments everyone. I'm hoping we continue this in week 2 and so on.

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote