View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 09:00 PM
now.it.all.begins
Fan Forum Star

Okay so after 3 days and 4 viewings of the episode I finally have my review.

JLA/Ollie/Clark/Martian Manhunter:

That opening sequence was awesome! I loved seeing the JLA in action and the addition of Dinah to the team. Seeing AC spring out of the ice was super cool and real whoa moment for me and of course I’m really happy that the JLA have been looking for Clark for the past month. I also liked it that SV took the time to explain the absence of Victor and Bart, especially since SV isn’t exactly known for it’s continuity. Oliver’s dedication and determination to find Clark and his line, “Clark wouldn’t give up on us, so we’re not giving up on Clark” made the inner fangirl in me giddy. I love seeing strong men who stand up for what they believe in and never back down and I only hope that Oliver will be a positive influence in Clark’s life this season and Clark will learn from Ollie’s example.

Moving on to Clark in a Russian work camp: Um wow , Clark is looking fine! With the scruff and the wet hair and the tight grey shirt he’s definitely looking more grown up. I mean I always knew he was attractive, but I don’t think it ever really hit me just how gorgeous this man is until seeing this episode. Those red/blue jackets/t-shirts really do nothing for him and can someone explain to me how that red jacket survived in the Arctic for a month? What is it virtually indestructible or something? Okay sorry for the digression, back to Clark. So yes he’s in the Russian work camp and he’s stripped of his powers. He wants to phone home to let his family know he’s all right but this old Russian miser isn’t having any of it. Uh oh! What’s he going to do? In a very Rambo esque move he decides to take initiative and escape by stealing a truck. Unfortunately for Clark, he gets gunned down, crashes the truck and his arse gets handed to him by the evil Russians. Ah well at least he tried right?

So next we see Clark in the camp again getting water dumped on him to wake him up (I wish I had that job), and Clark attempts to escape once again. It’s nice to see Clark using his wits and still fighting to get out even though he doesn’t have his powers. I think he’s often way too dependent on them to get him out of jams. Poor Clarkie just wants to go home and the old creeper is just about to send him home in a box when who should show up but our hero, Ollie! YAY! And he’s speaking Russian! Double yay! Just when I think I can’t find Clark and Ollie anymore attractive, they decide to pummel each other as a way to get out of there alive. They also exchange banter that highly entertains me and leaves me . Clark asks Ollie, “What do you think you’re doing?”, Ollie responds with, “Just roll with it” and then they literally roll over and continue fighting. Ollie’s little quip about Clark’s batteries running low was great as was Clark’s “What took you so long?” when they finally got out of there.

Then they had that great scene together on the plane, where we find out what happened to Clark and how he miraculously managed to survive by walking forever until he woke up in a fishing boat with those goons. We also find out that Ollie has been looking for Chloe and that he knows that Lex’s people have her and that he knows that Dinah and AC have been taken by the same people. Can I just say that I love Ollie’s initiative here? He knows that Chloe is Clark’s best friend and he’s worked with her before so he automatically looks for her while he’s also searching for Clark. Ollie rocks my socks . Ahem, so yes, Clark wants to find Chloe, Ollie reminds Clark that he’s pretty much “useless” to which I must giggle at his bluntness . Yet in spite of Clark’s “uselessness” he’s determined to do whatever it takes to save his friend and Ollie immediately tells the pilot to change course and go to Montana.

They then proceed to bust into the highly guarded facility and Clark wants to split up to cover more ground. Hearing this, Ollie delivers another line that makes me giggle, “What are you going to do if you get caught? Bite someone” They split up and when they find each other again, Ollie’s been shot up with K-nite and Chloe’s mom’s spinal fluid and is now acting like a mind controlled zombie, which is essentially what he is at the moment. Eek! He ends up shooting Clark while trying to find info on Lex and Clark almost dies ! Justin Hartley is perfect in this scene. His voice gets all choked up when he says, “I’m so sorry…I couldn’t control myself” and he desperately tries to stop the bleeding and save his friend. Chloe runs in and tries to save Clark but her power isn’t working any more!

Luckily for Clark, he still has one super friend that Lex doesn’t know about. Martian Manhunter shows up and saves the day and the rest of the show, because honestly w/o Clark there is no show. Unfortunately for MM saving Clark stripped him of his powers (what is with all these guys losing their powers?), so Clark better watch his back b/c it doesn’t look like he has anymore people who can save his butt if he dies again. Then Clark delivers his speech, which is so made of win it’s not even funny. He’s finally decided to let go of the past and move on with his life! No more moping, no more whining, no more oh woe is me, why do I have these powers and why can’t I be normal? No! He’s finally embracing his destiny and moving forward! Please let this continue throughout the season because this is a Clark Kent I adore .

Finally, we get Clark meeting up with the JLA and thanking them for saving his life, which of course results in some heavy handed foreshadowing from Ollie and Dinah about Clark taking on a form fitting costume and leading a double life, which I could totally get on board with btw . Then the JLA splits up because they know their covers have been blown and decide to lay low. I do like how Ollie and Dinah went off in the same direction, I like to see it as a nod to their future romance and how they will be walking the same path soon enough.

Okay so I think I’ll end my review here for now. Tomorrow I’ll get up the rest of it .
I see e x t r a o r d i n a r y m a g i c in you
Rachel
now.it.all.begins is offline   Reply With Quote