View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 09:48 PM
emesoohci
Master Fan

No problem...
Quote:
Rick/Dylan – Handsome, no trouble finding a woman to ease his pain. Brooding when alone or unhappy. Animated and joyful when in love. Turns to alcohol when rejected by the woman he loves and to avoid facing emotions. Mysterious background. Pretends to be uncaring and self-involved, but truly selfless and heroic deep down and in spite of themselves. Willing to do what is best for the woman he loves rather than what he truly wants or what would make him the happiest.

Ilsa/Kelly – Beautiful and desired by all men. Substantial inner strength, but all defenses can be brought down by her greatest love. Can be led by emotions instead of reason when in love. Troubled background. Wants security and sensibility, but wants passion and love more. Willing to give up what she wants the most to do what is right by the other men in her life.

Victor/Brandon or Matt – The pillar of character and uprightness. Legendarily heroic and honorable. More reason than passion. Loves his woman slightly less than his causes or jobs. Stable and secure.

Sam/David or Donna – The friendly voice of sensibility. Says what needs to be said to make someone realize their feelings. Willing to do anything for a hurting friend.

A few storyline parallels:

Rick and Ilsa in Paris/Dylan and Kelly’s summer – Passionate, but hardly carefree. Growing danger and romantic connections ultimately thwart their romance.

Ilsa staying with Victor/Kelly returning the round-the-world tickets to Dylan – Doing the right thing in spite of their feelings. Choosing reason over love and passion.

Rick moving to Casablanca/Dylan moving to Europe – Running away from pain. Avoiding the past and pretending to be someone they are not.

Rick’s initial behavior toward Ilsa after they meet again/Dylan’s behavior toward Kelly in seasons 5 and 9 – First spiteful remarks, then a sort of arrogance in knowing that she will eventually cave in and go to him. R: “Walk up a few flights, I’ll be expecting you.” D: “But I also know that eventually, you’re going to want to be with me again.”

Ilsa giving up her fight against Rick/Kelly giving in to Dylan in the finale – A long battle with feelings that culminates into a realization that love cannot be avoided.

Rick letting Ilsa go with Victor/Dylan’s refusal to tell Kelly about Matt’s affair or letting her go in “Stormy Weather” – Against what is presumed to be their character and what is shown up to that point, they are willing to give up what they truly want to ensure that the woman does not hate herself or their relationship down the line.
It was either thread 58 or 59 when we went off on that. I can't remember now.

Icon by Court