View Single Post
Old 10-27-2004, 03:23 AM
nancyvi
Dedicated Fan

Cheryl....this made me think of something: you wrote:

"Notice that all through the show Luke was helping Lorelai, doing things for her? Contrast that with Christopher's need for her help. That's the way it is....Chris will always need someone to help him out. Luke stands alone. He is there when you need him and usually in complete control. Maybe, unknowingly, that is what Lorelai likes about Christopher....his need for her. Not love just need....spoiled little boy needs someone to make it all better for him."

Maybe what it is is that Lorelai has never had anyone BUT Luke take care of her...she expects it from him because that IS Luke, he does it freely and enjoys it, but they never SAY anything about that....AND yet in all her other relationships, Lorelai is the nurturer, the wonderwoman, the one who everyone thinks has it together.

Luke is the only one who knows her faults and still loves her, still wants to accept her as is, and help her where needed. Now maybe the issue is that Lorelai will one day verbalize well, 'what do I bring to Luke? why do you even like me?' Yea, she may be thinking, 'sure he what thinks I'm pretty', but maybe Lorelai wonders what does he see in her when he does know her so well....'why do I deserve this great guy?', she may wonder. Maybe she gets comfort from knowing with Chris, he needs her...does Luke need her? She may not know he does...and that may be scary too. Sure, I think Lorelai knows SHE needs Luke...she doesn't say it aloud, but she ALWAYS tries to make up with him. She cannot stand him angry with her...every season she has been the one to try and make up after an argument. But does she know that Luke needs her too? That she is his rock too? I have always felt Lorelai is insecure in that way. She acts like she thinks she is great...but I think that covers her sarcasm. She is actually a little self-deprecating in the delivery of those lines...like "oh I'm hot" but she is really laughing at herself all the time.

Anyways, Cheryl, your post got me thinking about the word need, and all that may entail to this L/L relationship.
nancyvi is offline   Reply With Quote