View Single Post
Old 10-12-2004, 12:15 AM
dariah
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Roswellgirl1001
I really don't know what classes are the most important to take, other than the general psychology and sociology classes available in HS. Which APs are most important, and what tests should I take? I have the option of taking the World History AP exam this year (sophmore) but I don't even think I'll need it. Will I? Ack!
Psychology minor, speaking.

Generally, you're going to want the typical pre-med course, because psychiatrists are an MD and do go to medical school.

So, you're going to want to load up on the maths and sciences. AP Calculus AB at least is a must - BC, if you can. Any and all sciences you can get your hands on, particularly AP Biology and AP Chemistry. A LOT of psychology is neurology, which is just as much chemistry as it is biology. Psychology itself is considered a social science, so if your school offers it, definitely take AP Psych, too. I would also recommend AP English classes, as they really help your ability to think and write.

I took AP World History as a sophomore and hated it; after our class they stopped offering it. I'm not a history buff, but some of it is important, just to be aware of schemas and memes (two huge psych topics) as they appear throughout history. Probably the most important history class you could take would be American.

Hoped this helped! Any idea where you want to apply?