View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Raonaild
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Andie- (View Post)
About the Doctor: I liked the way he made his escape from the caretakers. He used that they were blindly following the rules written down in the instructions book - or in the Doctors case - what was supposed to be written in the book - to get out.
The Doctor has always been clever, but it seemed like Seven was almost more so than the others - more prepared, more prone to developing complicated plans. He's one of the shortest incarnations of the Doctor too, so that seems to be a part of his character too - instead of diving headlong into a problem and blustering his way through, he takes a more understated and subtle approach. Putting enemies off their guard by appearing to be harmless and silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Andie- (View Post)
Regarding Mel as a companion: Mel seems to be screaming awful lot, isn't she? I am not really sure what to think about Mel yet. I guess we'll see after the next few episodes
Poor Mel ... she was a holdover from a rather annoying period of Doctor Who (i.e. the Sixth Doctor era) when the people making the show made some rather odd and unpopular choices (e.g. the Sixth Doctor's jacket). The screaming, the carrot juice, the bad 80s wardrobe - it was such a relief when she left and Ace replaced her (who was, IMO, the best companion for a number of years, since Romana left the show). I don't fault Bonnie Langford for it though, I've heard some 7/Mel audios since that were way better than any of the TV episodes she appeared in.

The most noteworthy thing about Mel was the weird way she joined the Doctor - during the previous Sixth Doctor season, Trial of a Time Lord, video of her travelling with Six was shown to Six before he'd actually knew who she was. It was never explained how Mel and the Doctor originally met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandelier2 (View Post)
I loved Sophie Aldred as Ace though, I probably wanted to be her when I grew up
Back during the first season of New Who, it got on my nerves at times when people would go on about how oh so different Rose was to any previous companion, how she was so feisty and always challenged the Doctor. But so did Ace. Ace and the Seventh Doctor made a great team, they challenged each other but were also very loyal and worked very well together.