View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 11:42 AM
blessingcurse_calling
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnicky (View Post)
But come to think of it, not everyone is as dedicated as all of us in here. So it kinda makes sense, too. I mean, maybe, if I'm not this addicted to SPN, and I like Lost, too - why not change channel when my least fave character is on and watch a much more interesting scene on the other station? Saves me the hassle right?
So, I'm just gonna jump in here, hope you don't mind, but honestly, I think most of the apprehension against Bela and/or Ruby comes from those of us who are this addicted. Now, I'm completely obsessed with this show now, and I absolutely love both Bela and Ruby. However, if I were the way I was a year or so ago, where I watched but just wasn't obsessive, I highly doubt the introduction of the girls would have concerned me at all. I certainly could be wrong, and I'm really not sure with Supernatural, but I know when Bones introduced Cam, all the hostility I saw toward her was coming from the most dedicated of fans, not the ones who just liked the show. In fact, everyone I talked to who watched but wasn't ridiculously committed, tended to really like the introduction of the new characters. I get the feeling that most people who just like the show and aren't really completely dedicated tend not to be nearly as concerned with a little bit of change...

And as for the ratings drop, personally, I wonder if it could be, at least in part, contributed to the fact that Supernatural is becoming more and more reliant on the backstory behind it and episodes are becoming less and less stand alone. Now, that doesn't really bother me much, but I did find myself watching season one yesterday and kind of missing all the awesome spirits and monsters they used to go up against... I mean I've been trying to recruit some new fans this season, but I find them just getting confused. They like it, or at least they think they would, but they have trouble following it, because so much is dedicated to that running storyline...

Darren Hayes, This Delicate Thing We've Made
8/21/07
www.neonbird.com
blessingcurse_calling is offline   Reply With Quote