View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 11:25 PM
sum1
Fan Forum Star

Rewatching B5 season 1. Still majorly pissed about Sinclair being replaced by Sheridan. Boxleitner did a very good job as Sheridan (particularly in season 5), but it was nothing on O'Hare's marvellous work as Sinclair. Dumping Sinclair was a massive mistake.

Even at its beginning, B5 was better than any other space opera show I've seen. None of the Trek shows match up, Andromeda doesn't even rate, the new Battlestar Galactica is empty by comparison, the 2 Dune mini series pale next it, Farscape has nothing on it, etc.

Not to mention the much-talked-about Firefly. "f i r e f l y" is another way to spell "o v e r r a t e d". Well-made, but totally lacking a deeper heart. Too busy being flashy cutting edge and smirking at its own cleverness to truly care about its characters. Joss Whedon without SMG? Hmmm... ATS in its first season wasn't great, just good, and after that it stank. Yep, Joss without Sarah Michelle Gellar certainly doesn't impress me all that much.

People act like Firefly is the second coming or something, but it pales next to something from over a decade back. I watch B5's first ep and I find I care about Sinclair and co. I watch Firefly and I couldn't care less about Mal. Inara and Wash and Book are good and I like them... but they don't really enormously move me. And the rest don't matter to me at all. The show fails to make them really touch me. And I spend the whole time wondering when they're gonna realize how stupid they look using revolvers in a space opera.

Last edited by sum1; 07-27-2007 at 09:17 AM