View Single Post
Old 09-13-2004, 02:49 PM
wolkenfuehlen
Elite Fan

Why was Ryder homophobic?

Ryder Forrest, our lovely British jerk that used every chance he got to make fun of Jake and Hamilton, who in his eyes were gay, what were his reasons for acting this way?

To me, this is probably one of the hardest questions to answer, mostly because there are so many possibilities. Ryder clearly didn't want anyone to know what he was feeling or thinking, or maybe even wanted everyone to believe that he didn't have feelings. He hides everything behind the front of the bad guy. What was he thinking or feeling? I don't know. Maybe he was gay, maybe he wasn't, we'll never know.
I do know people who are similar to Ryder, and I think their biggest motive for acting the way they do is that they want to seem strong. We all know how high school can be. You're either one of the stronger people, or you're weak, and people make fun of you. Ryder doesn't want to be weak, maybe because he once experienced how it is to be one of the weak people, so he starts being one of the strong people. Strong people make fun of minorities, of people that are different and weak, so he makes fun of Jake and Hamilton.
If he's gay, maybe he also makes fun of them to prove that he is straight and doesn't like gay people. And because he's secretly jealous that they can be 'out' and he can't, that they found someone who loves them and he doesn't have someone like that, probably doesn't even have friends or a caring family.
No matter how you put it, no matter what reasons you think about, all of them seem possible. We will never know why Ryder acted the way he did, but we can guess, we can try to understand and analyze his behaviour.

What do you think?

OT: This is our 100th thread!