View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Jazz
Elite Fan

Eastern Promises is really creating a buzz, it's opening up at the prestiages London Festival too.

Cronenberg film to open London Film FestivalEastern Promises, starring

This year's Times BFI 51st London Film Festival will open on Wednesday, October 17, with the eagerly awaited Eastern Promises by acclaimed director David Cronenberg.

The film is a London set thriller by the multi-award winning film-maker Cronenberg, director of The Fly, Dead Ringers and Naked Lunch.

It reunites Cronenberg with his History of Violence leading man Viggo Mortensen, and also stars Naomi Watts and Vincent Cassel. The screenplay is by Steven Knight, whose previous credits include Stephen Frears' Dirty Pretty Things.

The plot centres on the mysterious and ruthless Nikolai (Mortensen), who is tied to one of London’s most notorious organised Russian crime families. A harrowing chain of murder, deceit and retribution is put in motion when he crosses paths with Anna (Watts), an innocent midwife, trying to right a wrong she accidentally uncovers potential evidence against the family, setting in motion a harrowing chain of murder, deceit, and retribution.

Sandra Hebron, the Festival’s Artistic Director said “It’s hugely exciting that a director who has consistently thrilled and challenged us throughout his career has made a film in our city. This gripping, powerfully directed and acted story of lives colliding in contemporary London is the perfect opener for our Festival.”

David Cronenberg adds: "I’m thrilled to be returning to the scene of the crime. Eastern Promises is the first film I’ve ever shot entirely away from my home in Canada, and it makes perfect sense that it is set in London, home of so many of my most potent film influences. I can’t wait to be there!"

The full programme for The Times BFI 51st London Film Festival will be announced on Thursday, September 13.

Cronenberg film to open BFI London
'Eastern Promises' to kick off festival
By ARCHIE THOMAS David Cronenberg’s London-set gangster thriller “Eastern Promise” will open the Times BFI London Film Festival on Oct. 17 before Pathe releases it in Blighty on Oct. 26.

The crimer reunites Cronenberg with “A History of Violence” topliner Viggo Mortensen and also stars Naomi Watts, Vincent Cassel and Armin Mueller-Stahl.

Program for the 51st edition of the festival will be announced Sept. 13. Fest closes Nov. 1.

Emilie /My LJ

Icon by MaybeLove