View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Night Nymph
Loyal Fan

roguebailey - I agree that Angelus' speech in Passion is a good one. One reason I didn't mention it is that it has already been mentioned, but also I think because it was a voiceover. One of the reasons I chose most of the speeches above is because of the impact they had on the characters hearing it. The one main exception to that was the After Life speech, because Buffy was mostly too numb to get the affect of it, but the rest...

The "Love's Bitch" speech actually made Buffy re-evaluate her relationship with Angel (at least at that time) and shook her enough for her to admit out loud that her mortal enemy could tell something about her that her friends couldn't.

Buffy's empowering speech was mostly just a great sight to behold, but it also gained her some respect from the watcher's council and was a declaration that she got her confidence back - one that everyone hearing it could tell that she believed herself (and not that she was just blowing smoke).

Buffy's "I believe in you" speech affected Spike enough that it was what he held on to to resist the First Evil's mental torture and keep himself from breaking. That's a pretty powerful effect.

Spike's "Your the one" speech helped Buffy to get her fight back and gave her the strength she needed to go back to Caleb's vineyard. (The bookend to Buffy's "I believe in you" speech)

Spike's "Death is your art" speech certainly seemed to shake Buffy, and I think it might have been part of the reason that she questioned later - especially in Intervention - whether or not she was becoming too much of a slayer.

Buffy's "I'm in Hell" speech looked like it affected Spike - he didn't look like he knew what to do with that information, and it was likely part of the reason that he waited a while longer before he finally decided he was tired of playing "dead man's ear" and wanted more from Buffy.

Anya's bomb clock speech was mostly touching in retrospect as I mentioned. It certainly seemed to affect Xander at the time, but then again, I think Xander has a shorter attention span than some of the other characters, so I'm not surprised that it didn't have much of a lasting impact.
Night Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote