View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 06:47 AM
JusW
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquity (View Post)
He might not ever have done anything to Peyton, but what has he ever done for her?

In season one, he couldn't-well, he could, but chose not to-wait for Peyton, and therefor hooked up with Brooke. And then when Peyton did kiss him in that hotel room, he tried to do what was best for them both and Brooke- but one episode later, he was kissing her again. He hadn't broken up with Brooke, no, he was eating from two dishes. And then Peyton went to tell Brooke about them, because he was too much of a coward to do so himself. Hell, he didn't even tell Brooke after he left the hospital, while Peyton attempted to do so twice.

Another thing I find incredibly selfish-of both Lucas and Peyton, though Lucas moreso-that he knew that Brooke was Peyton's best friend, and still he persuad after Peyton whilst he was with Brooke. He didn't break up after finding out Peyton wanted to be with him- no, he snuck around with her in libaries and wherever.

I also think it's rather odd how Lucas never has to fight for either one of the girls; they always come to him.
I suppose it depends on your reading of things and yours does seem to me almost a cross between a militant feminist reading and a need for everything to be a fairytale whereupon the guy is expected to wait for the girl forever, and yet at the same time, the girl is always right. I'm not sure I buy that to be honest. They were both at fault in S1, I don't think anyone can dispute that. And to be honest, your argument still holds more for what Luke (and Peyton) did to Brooke as opposed to what Luke did to Peyton per se.

One can read that in multiple ways and I don't think it's as clear cut as Peyton wanted to do the right thing and Luke didn't, especially with regards to how they went about informing Brooke - because either way, Brooke would have been hurt in the end. One could also propose an argument whereby all three share some burden for what happened in the triangle, and I think that argument has been made before. Similarly another reading would have seen that in S1 when it came down to it, Peyton chose Brooke over Luke and only wanted to be friends with Luke again after Brooke made it clear to her that there was no more hope for a BP friendship, so maybe Peyton is the one who doesn't deserve him?

Regardless of it all, I think it is important to note that Luke realised that he screwed up by the end of S1, so if we don't hold the screw-ups of others against them (which is why you are a BP shipper), than why do we hold the guy to a higher standard? Because since then, Luke really has been nothing but good for Peyton, and she for him. This is the first time LP have embarked on a relationship together. They have ended the season stable, relaxed and assured. And yet, people still think Luke doesn't deserve Peyton, and that's what I find surprising, considering they have been shown in this relationship to be good for the other. Is it because Luke didn't have to fight for Peyton? Because I find the whole notion of fighting for someone a little, pathetic, tbh. Fighting for quickly degenerates into fighting with - and I don't think I could take the pettiness, and whiny neediness that came with fantasy boy drafts and such ilk.

Last edited by JusW; 06-16-2007 at 06:52 AM