View Single Post
Old 07-08-2004, 01:16 PM
summerbug
Loyal Fan

From TV Guide. Ethan Hawke talks about how the reviews are good but they don't make it sound interesting I think it looks cute.

Ethan Hawke Denies Uma Parallel
by Angel Cohn
Although Ethan Hawke is winning raves for Before Sunset, the indie romance (in limited release) that he co-wrote and in which he stars, the applause is nearly being drowned out by gossip: His character's disintegrating marriage, wags suggest, mirrors the 33-year-old's real-life bust-up with wife Uma Thurman. Is it true? The sometime author prefers to keep us guessing.
"I'll play many men in my life with struggling marriages," insists the leading man, who also teamed with Julie Delpy for Before Sunrise, the chatty sleeper from which the new picture was drawn. "I'll play many men who are happily married, too, and if people want to read into that, I hope that it fuels [the buzz for the film] in a positive way. [The story line] is not made more interesting or less interesting by any parallels to me.

"But," he concedes, "I like what Julie has said. [She joked] that I'm such a Method actor that I deliberately destroyed my marriage!"

Some Hollywood hunks would be appalled by a castmate who so freely poked fun at their private lives. But Hawke knew what he was getting in the French femme fatale. "Julie's a pain in the [bleep]," he laughs, adding that during the collaborative screenwriting process with director Richard Linklater, she let him know when his ideas for his screen counterpart stank. "[She'd] tell me pretty clearly, 'If you say that, you will be a pig. Your film will be terrible.'"
However, "We wouldn't have obviously done it a second time if we didn't love [writing together]," he goes on. "For whatever reason, it works out easy. Everybody kind of has their role."

Based on the flick's reviews, glowing as they are, the role the audience must play is that of a bunch of people who aren't snoring. Even Hawke laments that, on paper, the plot — in which reunited ex-lovers spend 90 minutes talking and talking — "sounds very boring. We're all bothered that we get these good reviews that make the movie sound so boring. They say, 'It is very good; they just sit around and talk.' And you'll go, 'Okay, I'll catch that on video.'"
summerbug is offline   Reply With Quote