View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 04:22 PM
'Tos
Master Fan

Tom Amandes in a new play:

Quote:
Chicago actor Tom Amandes, a veteran of the city's Off-Loop stage scene who is widely known for playing salty Dr. Harold Abbott on the TV series "Everwood," will return to the Windy City to star in Cynical Weathers, a new political drama by Douglas Post, at Victory Gardens Theater.

The world premiere run begins April 6 (opening April 16) at VGT's new home at the Biograph Theater.

Under the direction of VGT artistic director Dennis Zacek, Amandes will originate the role of Congressman Dixon McDaniels, "a moderate Texas Republican caught in the crossfire between his liberal wife Cat, who is an atmospheric scientist studying global warming, and his conservative chief of staff, an evangelical and believer in the end times."

According to production notes, "Over the course of a weekend, the congressman and his wife grapple with deep-seated ideological differences brought to head by an energy bill he is attempting to push through Congress. Meanwhile, a category five hurricane is looming off the Gulf Coast, threatening to wreak havoc on the McDaniels' beachfront estate, the surrounding terrain, and the congressman's shifting political agenda."

Cynical Weathers also features Bethanny Alexander (as Cat McDaniels), Tony Castillo (as Manny Hernandez), Ben Brooks Cohen (as Lee Gelman), and Lindsay Gould (as Andrea Brady).

Designers are Samuel Ball (set), Judith Lundberg (costumes), Patrick Chan (lights) and Andre Pluess (sound). Production stage manager is Tina Jach.

After growing up in Richmond and Crystal Lake, as the sixth of 11 children, Tom Amandes graduated from the Goodman School of Drama, now The Theater School, at DePaul University. He began his acting career as an ensemble member of the Body Politic Theater, performing in such productions as Translations (his 1982 debut), The Playboy of the Western World and Falstaff and Hal. Other notable Chicago theatre includes Candida, What the Butler Saw, The Mystery Cycle at Court, Free Advice from Prague and The Courtship of Carl Sandburg at Northlight, and Working Magic at Victory Gardens. His best-known television roles include Eliot Ness in "The Untouchables," astronaut Jack Schmitt in "From the Earth to the Moon" and salty Dr. Harold Abbott in "Everwood." He has three children and is married to actress Nancy Everhard, who he met when she was cast as his wife Katherine Ness on "The Untouchables." She played Sharon Hart on "Everwood." They reside in Park City, UT.

Douglas Post's plays include Blissfield, Somebody Foreign, Forty-Two Stories, Drowning Sorrows, Personal Effects, Earth and Sky, Suffering Fools and Murder in Green Meadows as well as the musicals God and Country, The Real Life Story of Johnny De Facto and The Wind in the Willows.

Performances of Cynical Weathers will continue to May 13.
Playbill News: "Everwood" Doc to Star in Victory Gardens Premiere Cynical Weathers

I wish he could come back to television in a huge role, but honestly, I only trust Berlanti to use him right, but I really hope he gets a great role one of these days because he deserves SO much success.

macci, I think you're near Chicago?
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood