View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 09:42 PM
'Tos
Master Fan

Great thread to one of the greatest actors on Everwood. Which is tied with like everyone on the show, but that just speaks to how amazing everyone on Everwood is. I've never gotten to see him in anything outside of Everwood, other than Numbers which barely even counts (why must you waste Tom Amandes, Numbers, why?), and he just deserves something amazing after his work on Everwood. He's just too good not to get a show of his own, or have some huge role in one or a movie. I really miss that voice more than anything; so unique and so great for comedy, and even better for the drama. If he's not getting tons and tons of offers, than Hollywood is a bunch idiots..well, moreso than most of us thought.

Okay, so I ranted. I just like him is all.

buffyannAlex , would you mind if I linked to this thread on another Everwood board, because I know some were not able to watch his appearance on Numbers . If not, that's cool too.

Hmm, speeches..how about them all? Well, if I haaaave to pick one, the one that always comes to mind is the one from Episode 20:

Quote:
DR. ABBOTT: Well, it's an impossible dilemma. No right answer. My father lived through the times when women either couldn't get abortions or had to go out of state, out of country...get some botched attempt, try to do it themselves. Oh, he would tell me stores of women coming to him cut, bruised, infected, traumatized, sterile...worse. He said that every town had a secret life, that there was someone in every community who knew people who knew would help. And in this town, that person was my father. So when I came here to join his practice, he told me that it would be on one condition. That he never wanted those horrific things to happen to women again. Not on his watch, and not on mine.

DR. BROWN: But you were so adamant when I came to you.

DR. ABBOTT: I don't do this when I don't have to. It's hard enough when I do. And I'm terrified every time I think of what could happen to my kids and to my wife. That's why I was trying to protect you. Your children, they only have one parent left. [sighs] Anyway, I...

[Dr. Abbott stands.]

DR. ABBOTT: (CONT'D) I felt sure that in the end, you would do it. Commie pinko, you are.

[Dr. Brown smiles.]

DR. ABBOTT: (CONT'D) Who would have thought?

[Beat.]

DR. BROWN: I have known a lot of good doctors in my life but...

DR. ABBOTT: Dont...Don't ascribe some altruistic grand political motives to me, doctor. I'm not that kind of man. I made an oath, not to some political cause, but to my father.
His love and devotion and connection with his father has always been something I've loved about him the most, especially his connection with Bright and Amy, which I think he tries so hard with them and he's SUCH a great Dad because while he had a bond with his father, it wasn't as amazing as his bond with Amy and Bright. Anyway, I just think his reasons for doing the abortion, how it even goes against his beliefs, are so great. It's for his father. That's just such pure devotion there. Plus, the "commie pinko" always cracks me up and it's SO Harold, where even with something so serious and controversial, he'll still take a special moment to take a shot at Andy.

I'm not sure if that's even the best one, I'll have to watch a lot of season two and season three which I don't remember when they start on Vision TV, but I also loved his speech to God, when Rose is in surgery. SO powerful, and it makes me bawl every single time.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood