View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 05:47 PM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

Alex is amazing. As I continue to look at the creation of this thread and all that went into it I'm just absolutely astounded. I'm floored.

Okay, speeches... Hmm..

Quote:

DR. ABBOTT: Turns into what?
DR. BROWN: Turns into what I saw in there today. Trust me, Harold, this is the right thing to do.
[Dr. Brown sits down in a chair in front of Dr. Abbott’s desk.]
DR. ABBOTT: It may have been. If you came to me two months ago and asked my opinion, I-I might have told you to tell Ephram the truth or I might not’ve. I don’t know. I can’t imagine how you’ve handled it these last two months let alone these last two years all by yourself.
DR. BROWN: Where are you going with this?
DR. ABBOTT: The fact is you don’t have to figure this one out on your own. You’ve brought me into it, so allow me to be here for you now and to aid you in this decision. Do not tell Ephram.
DR. BROWN: Harold…
DR. ABBOTT: This isn’t for only Amy’s sake. Although, naturally that is my concern. The fact is you can’t undo what you did. Telling Ephram now isn’t gonna make this any better for him - only be better for you.
DR. BROWN: That’s not what this is about?
DR. ABBOTT: You wanted your boy to have a chance at a normal childhood – an opportunity to be happy. Well, that’s a very real possibility for him right now. They’re in love.
DR. BROWN: Well, that may well be true, but nonetheless.
DR. ABBOTT: No, it’s more than that. It’s remarkable. The fact that after everything they’ve endured that they’ve managed to salvage any hope at all. Allow them this brief period of time to enjoy their youth – the innocence that should come along with it. Lord knows they deserve it.
DR. BROWN: You know that Madison could come back at any time or call.
DR. ABBOTT: You can’t control that. What you can control is what you do today right now. Start over with Ephram. Make a clean slate of it. Don’t let this one incident with Madison prevent you from doing that.
[They sit and look at each other.]
This speech is obviously VERY significant because who knows, if Harold might not have given Andy this advice, Andy could have told Ephram everything but Harold's words obviously registered with Andy and he went with the continued decision not to say anything.

Thing is, I'm not even sure if what Harold said was the right advice or not, who knows, but I always put this particular Harold speech as one of, if not, the most significant one he has ever given throughout the entire series.

And no matter what, one thing I do love is how Harold was a big fan of Ephram/Amy and his words say as much. He was speaking from the heart as he was extremely happy that Ephram/Amy found a way to be together. He recognized how deeply in love they truly were and he knew that they needed to be together and with that, maybe that was the guiding force driving him to convince Andy to not say anything.

So yeah, this was a profound speech by Harold, no doubt about it.