View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Jordan23
Fan Forum Hero

Edge shares a slice of Cold Pizza

By Craig Tello
July 31, 2006

Despite the absence of four corners and a coarse ring mat, The Rated-R Superstar made instant impact Monday morning on ESPN’s Cold Pizza. Interviewed by Pizza host Jay Crawford, WWE Champion Edge entered the ESPN Studio toting the gold and diamond spinning championship belt, inducing studio-wide “bling envy.”

Keeping his WWE Championship close, Edge talked about the pursuit of his childhood dream of becoming WWE Champion and the fulfillment of his dream at New Year’s Revolution this past January.

“When I was a kid, I said this is what I wanted to do. I wanted to be a wrestler,” offered a more candid Rated-R Superstar.

Voted “Most Likely to Be WWE Champion” in high school, Edge explained to Crawford that the most exciting moment of his career was winning the WWE Championship not once, but twice.

“In any industry, you want to be the top [person]…the be all, end all,” said Edge. “[Being the champion is] pretty surreal.”

Edge and Crawford then compared Edge’s signature move – the Spear – to physicality of other athletes outside of the ring, including French soccer star Zinedine Zidane, who headbutted an opposing player in the chest during the World Cup Finals.

“I go more shoulder than head,” said the WWE Champion of his FIFA imitator. “If I was to spear [Zidane], I’d break him in half.”

Agreeing that the Spear might be catching on all over the globe, Crawford asked Edge about athletes who could potentially cross over into the squared circle and find some form of success as WWE Superstars. In addition to the NHL’s hard-hitting Scott Stevens, The Rated-R Superstar said that Chicago Bears linebacker and WWE fan Brian Urlacher might have what it takes to enter a WWE ring.

“[Urlacher’s] got the right mentality: stupid, stubborn, and fearless,” said Edge.

The WWE Champion also engaged in a self-themed round of ESPN speed trivia, identifying lead guitarist for U2 (The Edge) and Arizona Cardinals’ Edgerrin “The Edge” James. Continuing the banter, The Rated R Superstar told his host that “at a WWE event, you wouldn’t even sit on the “edge” of your seat.”

“You’d be standing,” promised the WWE Champion.

Watch Edge on RAW every Monday night at 9/8 CT, live on the USA Network.

- wwe.com