View Single Post
Old 11-24-2023, 12:37 AM
WitnessOfWonders
Part-Time Fan

I saw a video that mentioned that 60% of the viewers for "The MarvelS" were male and now I read that 45% of the audience for the opening weekend were male over 25yo and only 22% were women. I'm not suggesting that a female lead superhero movie is just made for a female audience but I still think that it was targeted more at women than the usual Marvel movie. If not even women do care for these three girls, something went terribly wrong. Or to be frank: Know your target audience.

It's almost funny (I would laugh if I didn't care so much about Brie, Iman and therefor this movie) how many reasons for the failure of "The Marvels" there are. It's not one single reason or three. It's such a long list that you probably rarely see with another movie.

- Three women superheroes in a male dominated franchise
- Captain Marvel herself wasn't super popular or as popular as other Marvel heroes
- Brie Larson gets a certain kind of hate / Some viewers didn't like her approach at a stoic Captain Marvel
- Renaming the movie from "~Captain Marvel: The Marvels" to just "The MarvelS"
- They added two new characters and don't really or not introduce them in the movie
- It would be better to have watched some other shows to get into the movie
- There has been almost no promotion due to TWO strikes
- There were additional shoots
- The movie got postponed 4 times. Initial release was early July 2022 and the last one was end of July 2023 - it got released on November 8th/10th.
- The script wasn't great or even really good. Speaking from a neutral POV. The movie can still be fun but it has to draw in a huge audience.
- Because it costs so unbelievably much. It's among the most expensive movies made since the year 2000. Easily in the top 50 most expensive movies since the year 2000.
- Then you have the push for diversity. Doesn't fly with all the potential viewers
- Negative feedback even before the movie was released
- Going to the movies gets more and more expensive
- People are tired of Marvel movies
- Was released not 4 but 4.5 years(!) after the release of "Captain Marvel".

So what could possibly go wrong? I watched it twice and I'm not even the target audience. Just in it for the Brie and proudly so. I don't mind the things certain people could have problems with as long as I get an entertaining movie. But to get back $250m + marketing (but I don't believe that this movie needed $150m for marketing because there was little promotion) is almost impossible considering everything that went not so well or even wrong for the movie...

Last edited by WitnessOfWonders; 11-24-2023 at 12:44 AM
WitnessOfWonders is offline   Reply With Quote