View Single Post
Old 09-09-2022, 06:46 PM
BehrItAll
Fan Forum Star

Star Wars: The Princess and the Scoundrel
by Beth Revis

The Death Star is destroyed. Darth Vader is dead. The Empire is desolated. But on the forest moon of Endor, amongst the chaos of a changing galaxy, time stands still for a princess and her scoundrel.

After being frozen in carbonite, then risking everything for the Rebellion, Han is eager to stop living his life for other people. He and Leia have earned their future together, a thousand times over. And when he proposes to Leia, it’s the first time in a long time he’s had a good feeling about this. For Leia, a lifetime of fighting doesn’t truly seem over. There is work still to do, penance to pay for the dark secret she now knows runs through her veins. Her brother, Luke, is offering her that chance—one that comes with family and the promise of the Force. But when Han asks her to marry him, Leia finds her answer immediately on her lips . . . Yes.

But happily ever after doesn’t come easily. As soon as Han and Leia depart their idyllic ceremony on Endor for their honeymoon, they find themselves on the grandest and most glamorous stage of all: the Halcyon, a luxury vessel on a very public journey to the most wondrous worlds in the galaxy. Their marriage, and the peace and prosperity it represents, is a lightning rod for everyone in the galaxy—including Imperial remnants still clinging to power.

Facing their most desperate hour, the soldiers of the Empire have dispersed across the galaxy, retrenching on isolated worlds vulnerable to their influence. As the Halcyon travels from world to world, one thing becomes abundantly clear: The war is not over. But as danger draws closer, Han and Leia find that they fight their best battles not alone but as husband and wife.

I really enjoyed this novel. It's a really well balanced story. There's drama, humor, action, romance, and character growth.

I'll start with character growth. I appreciated the way that Leia struggled with the Force and with Vader being her biological father.

Spoiler:

For Han I though it was good to include was his PTSD from being in carbonite. Being claustrophobic and being on an ice planet brought up those memories. The experience and the way he dealt with it, with Leia's support, were done well.

As were the challenges of transitioning from a rebellion to fighting the remnants of the Empire attacking their supply lines, and dealing with those who thought the Emperor being dead was Rebel propaganda.

Besides that political aspect the transition for Han and Leia's roles as individuals to a married couple were well written. There was some good character development when they playfully bantered, really argued, and then made up.

I loved this quote:
Page 130: Anxiety twisted inside her. He knew who she had been, but neither of them had really talked about who they wanted to become, how they wanted to grow and shift as a unified front rather than individually.

I don't want this review to come off as saying that this book is only dealing with heavy issues. There was a lot of humor in it too. Han's dry humor made me laugh many times through out the story.

And that bachelor party with the Ewoks and C-3PO was hysterical.

Spoiler:

The wedding itself was really beautiful and romantic.
Spoiler:

This throw back to The Courtship of Princess Leia was a good funny one.

Page 14: "...Chewie was already threatening to kidnap you two and drop you off on some deserts planet until you both figured out how right you were for each other."

I barely remember the details of that book so I had to look up my review from back then.

It's hard to compare, because I have forgotten so much, but from what I can recall, I liked this version of Han and Leia's wedding much better. Which is saying a lot because I invested a lot of time and emotion into the old EU novels and Disney has often made some choices that annoy me. Like I miss Mara Jade Skywalker. And Jacen, Jaina and Anakin Solo are way better than Ben Solo.

I digress.

The Princess and the Scoundrel is 5 out of 5 Wedding Rings.

Other favorite quotes:

Page 70: "What was the point of fighting the Empire if we do not reap the benefits of peace?" (Mon Mothma).

Page 171: (Han) "Because you're my wife!...If you're running a con, I'll always back you up!"

Page 257: (Han) All it took was a few years and the Skywalker twins to make him realize he could ask for help.

Page 266: A harpoon sliced through the air, cutting Beck's biceps. A red line of blood blossomed over her white jacket-perfectly straight and neat, so clean it looked as if it were a band of honor in her immaculate uniform and not an injury.

Page 338: (Leia) If there was one thing Madrus had taught her, it was the power of art to exist even in the darkest times, to silently stand in opposition to the destroyers.
Art was a form of rebellion.