View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 03:42 AM
reylosome
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mina_lp (View Post)
I can see that Toby's career and the roles he has played before was better than his recent ones (at least in regard of consistency and quantity) but that doesn't necessarily mean he is not goanna be a very successful actor in the future.
Of course, anything can happen. Sometimes it takes one role. However, this is the deal. He's been in the industry for a long time, since he was 14. I did a good homework on him before posting here. So if you don't build resume and connections in 16-17 years of work than you are doing something wrong. Big factor in success is being invited to work with the same director and/or for the same studio. For example, Disney likes to reuse actors they like, so they cast them in anything. Not going to name but there's a terrible actress who appeared in Star Wars, a Marvel show and soon will appear in Willow. But they like her so...

And just going by his filmography, I don't see that sort of thing, that he was invited to work with someone again. usually, if big star likes you, they keep recommending you. Leo does that a lot. Johnny Depp did that too. Etc. Directors like Ridley Scott, Noah Baumbach, Martin Scorcese, Greta Gerwig, etc tend to work with the same collaborators. So my point is, it's a career that spans 17 years and no reliable connection to assure steady work.

I did find something interesting worth of investigation. In 2013, Toby was cast in Maleficent, in a small role Young King Stephan (Young Maleficent's love interest). It was a Disney production so despite minimal role, it was a foot in big movie door. Then things went wrong. According to him, 2 weeks into filming, he was let go cause they decided he was too old and wanted an actor of about 14. His departure was not reported in media. However, India Eisley, who was cast as Young Maleficent, was very publicly fired because "Disney executives expressed displeasure with her performance." I cannot possibly imagine what displeasure they could have with a performance in a nothing of a role so I'd say this is very sus and there must be a bigger story. Two actors cast to play young versions of main characters got fired for different reasons (too old actor and bad actress). Very strange. But then the plot thickens. They indeed cast young actors in those roles - Michael Higgins and Isobelle Molloy. But then they recast teen versions, which were played by India and Toby - with Ella Purnell and Jackson Bews. I checked his age and he is only 2 years younger than Toby. So, unless Toby was lying about the reason he was fired, it's Disney that lied to him. They didn't want to keep him for whatever reason. So big question is, what really happened on the set that got original actors cast as teen versions fired (but for different reasons)? And did that hurt Toby's standing with Disney at least if not larger industry? It was a bummer and he acknowledged it in an Insta video, that he wanted to be a part of a big production but it didn't work out.

This was one setback. The other was, of course, cancellation of GOT spin-off. I would also add Young Dumbledore to the list. WB missed the mark here. Fandom was hyped for young Dumbledore and Grindewald movies cause they liked the actors but WB decided to go with Fantastic Beasts instead and cast older Dumbledore and Grindewald and ran it into the ground.

Quote:
P.S: him drawing his gf is romantic, lol I hope he is happy with her, he deserves it.
Oh yes, super romantic and hot.

Re: conventions. There's no reason for industry to respect them because they are not acting work. they give actors nothing to show for. Actors just get paid for answering questions. But they don't audition or film so they have no material to show to casting directors. That's why they are waste of career. There are only 4 conventions that industry takes seriously because they promote new movies and shows, they are not AMA about old work:

San Diego Comic Con

D23 - Disney convention for promoting new Disney content that they founded after pulling out of San Diego Comic Con

Star Wars Celebration - new Star Wars content

Cinemacon - trailers and footage for cinema chain execs, not attended by actors

Actors can have both - conventions as appreciation for fans and actual work - but you likely noticed that Toby's career is now 98% conventions, 2% work. Karl Urban did conventions too but he also worked steadily and now is on a popular show The Boys.

I'm not trying to be mean. I actually have a soft spot for struggling actors who are talented and professional so basically have it all for success so detective in me wants to uncover where they are going wrong.