View Single Post
Old 04-03-2022, 05:56 PM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

Favorite Exchanges Part 3

Quote:
NINA: I think you have a real problem, Andy. I don't mean you and Amanda necessarily. I mean in general. Have you ever thought about what you've been doing since Julia died? Dating-wise, I mean?

DR. BROWN: I'm not sure I understand the question.

NINA: It just seems to me that you've made it your mission to seek out unavailable women. Dr. Trott, who you knew was never gonna stay in one place. Linda and now someone with a husband. It's like you can't get involved unless you know the relationship has no future.

DR. BROWN: Well, I didn't know that Linda was sick. Not at first.

NINA: You knew Amanda was married. I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm-I'm just trying to tell you as a friend that you need to check in with yourself. You need to think about what you're doing and why you're doing it or you could wind up all alone permanently.

DR. BROWN: Yeah. Maybe I'm supposed to be alone.

NINA: What?

DR. BROWN: Most people don't get as lucky as I was with Julia. And I screwed that up so maybe I deserve to be alone.

NINA: I don't believe that and I don't think you believe that.

DR. BROWN: I don't know. I was a pretty lousy husband.

NINA: Yeah and you're a really crappy dad too but you turned it around. People change, Andy, all the time and you deserve to be happy and if you are preventing yourself from letting that happen. Well, I'm sorry, but I just can't let you do that.

DR. BROWN: No.

NINA: No. And you don't need to punish yourself just consider it time served. Go fall in love with someone who can really love you back. The way that you should be loved.

[Dr. Brown picks up some cookie dough and offers Nina some. They eat cookie dough at the island.]
Quote:
Cut to Bright making a snowball and Ephram is sitting on a platform. The time is 5:08pm.]

BRIGHT: See what I don't get is why her parents would send her away. Y'know, I mean if your dad was dying wouldn't you want to be there.

EPHRAM: Probably. I don't know, maybe not.

BRIGHT: Yeah, I don't know either, man. Damn.

[Bright hops up and sits beside Ephram.]

EPHRAM: Yeah, it's like there's no silver lining. She stays and she sees her dad die a horrible death. She leaves and she feels guilty for the rest of her life. She's screwed either way.

BRIGHT: Okay, well, Hannah doesn't need us to throw her a little pity party here so...

EPHRAM: Y'know, life just sucks. It never ceases to amaze me.

BRIGHT: Dude, buzz kill. If you're gonna slash your wrists, just give me the heads up, okay.

EPHRAM: No, I mean seriously. Seriously think about it. Think about the three of us. Me and my mom. You guys and Colin. Now Hannah. It's like tragedy's the only thing we have in common. It's practically the reason we're friends.

BRIGHT: So? Y'know, at least we all found each other. We are friends.

EPHRAM: But the point is we got screwed. We're-We're-We're like way older than it says on our drivers' license. I mean most kids our age don't have to go through the kind of stuff that we're going through. That's why most kids our age know how to throw a proper ditch day.

[Ephram gets up and walks toward his car.]

BRIGHT: Hey, you know what, I've thrown plenty a proper ditch days in my time. And I would have turned today around if you guys would have let me.

[Bright gets up and follows him.]

BRIGHT: (CONT'D) The truth is, Ephram, there is a silver lining. You just fail to see it. I think that's part of your problem.

EPHRAM: Thank you, Dr. Phil.

BRIGHT: No, seriously, you came here on your first day, you met Amy. 'Cause you're all wiggy, in love with her, it takes your mind off what probably would have been a pretty nightmare year.

[Ephram sits on the hood of his car.]

EPHRAM: I was not wiggy.

BRIGHT: And because of what you went through with your mom, you were able to help her - Amy - out with the whole Colin thing went down and now Hannah just randomly moves in next door to you. Dude, we can help her with this thing. If that's not lucky, I don't know what is.

EPHRAM: You think we're lucky.

BRIGHT: Hell, yeah, I do. I do. I do think we're lucky. I also think that we are young. You may not feel like it all the time, but you are. So if you want to have a little fun, just nut up and do something about it.

EPHRAM: Okay, next ditch day'll be better.

BRIGHT: Screw that, we've got plenty of day left.

EPHRAM: What, it's like 5 o'clock. It's too late.

BRIGHT: Ah, my ass. Get in the car.

[Bright starts to walk around to the driver's side.]

EPHRAM: What about the girls?

[Bright honks the horn for the girls and Ephram gets up and walks around to the passenger side to get in.]
Quote:
DR. ABBOTT: Well, I have to say this video idea was brilliant. It worked like a charm. I used to love this movie.

EDNA: I know. You tried to put wings on the station wagon, remember. You ruined a damn good patio umbrella from Sears & Roebuck.

DR. ABBOTT: Well, I suppose I should get going.

EDNA: You got the time, I'd buy ya a drink.

DR. ABBOTT: Oh, that sounds good, I honestly don't think I have the energy to go out.

[Dr. Abbott gets up and turns off the TV. Edna gets up and pulls a letter opener out of her pen holder and heads to the back office.]

EDNA: You may not have to.

[Dr. Abbott follows Edna into a back office. She starts opening up a space in the wall.]

DR. ABBOTT: I should fix these ceiling cracks at some point. Rain. What are you? What are you doing? Mother.

[Edna opens up the wall and pulls out some liquor and two glasses.]

EDNA: Right where the old kook left it.

DR. ABBOTT: Is that Dad's Glenfiddich?

[Edna hands Dr. Abbott the bottle.]

EDNA: He always was partial to a single malt.

DR. ABBOTT: How long has this been in there?

EDNA: Oh, going on 20 years, I'd guess. He kept it around for emergencies and special occasions. I say this one's both.

[Edna hands Dr. Abbott a glass. Dr. Abbott pours them each some.]

EDNA: (CONT'D) To beefsteak when you're hungry, whiskey when you're dry, to all the girls you'd ever want and heaven when you die. Cheers.

[They clink their glasses and drink.]

DR. ABBOTT: Seems like another lifetime doesn't it? You and I working in this office together. Dad marching around barking out orders. You remember how terrified I was in the beginning.

EDNA: You couldn't start an IV to save your life. Or draw blood.

DR. ABBOTT: You know, I've never been comfortable with the piercing procedures.

EDNA: What'd I tell ya? Pinch slap...

DR. ABBOTT: and stab. I remember. You were very patient with me. Both of you were. We were a good team once. You and I.

EDNA: Yep. Sure were.

DR. ABBOTT: Thanks for staying today, Mother.

EDNA: Junior, I wouldn't've had it any other way.

[They sit quietly and drink.]
Quote:
Cut to hillside - Ephram is sitting on a sled, Bright is behind him and Hannah and Amy are off to the side watching.]

EPHRAM: You know what, I'm not going.

[Ephram tries to get up and Bright pushes him back onto the sled.]

BRIGHT: Yes, you are. Here we go. Ready?

EPHRAM: How do I steer?

BRIGHT: You don't have to worry about it. One. Two.

EPHRAM: I'm gonna hit your truck.

BRIGHT: Three.

[Bright pushes Ephram and Ephram takes off down the hill. Amy and Hannah laugh. Then Bright takes off down the slope on his stomach on a sled. Ephram and Amy go down together. Bright picks up Hannah. They are laughing and having fun and playing in the snow. When they are finished, they run down to the bottom of the hill where the cars are.]

HANNAH: This is so much fun.

BRIGHT: Oh, dude, Ephram, when you hit my truck that was so hilarious.

EPHRAM: Oh, yeah, maybe for you.

[Bright's cell phone goes off. He pulls it out of his pocket and looks.]

HANNAH: That's probably Jillian.

BRIGHT: Yep.

HANNAH: Hurry up before it goes to voicemail.

BRIGHT: Aah, I can skip it. I can go to a movie any night. One more run on the hill, little lady.

HANNAH: Me?

BRIGHT: Double decker to the top, unless you're too chicken.

HANNAH: Your sad attempt at reverse psychology is not going to work on me, Bright. Race you to the top.

[Hannah takes off up the hill and Bright races after her. Amy and Ephram watch them.]

EPHRAM: This actually wasn't half bad.

AMY: I know.

EPHRAM: Who knew sledding could be so much fun.

AMY: Uh, huh, Bright, man, he's good at that stuff.

EPHRAM: I'm sorry I was such a downer today.

AMY: You weren't. You were just being you. On ten, but since I love you I'm okay with that.

EPHRAM: Really? You still love me?

AMY: Weird, I know.

[They smile at each other.]

AMY: (CONT'D) I feel kinda bad for loading up the party wagon today. We never actually got any time together. Or together time.

EPHRAM: Well, it's never too late.

AMY: What about them?

EPHRAM: Oh, they have a car. We have a car.

AMY: This is true. [Ephram motions for them to head to his car so Amy and Ephram take off toward his car.]

[Cut to Nina's house - Hannah is in her bedroom writing in her journal. The time is 10:40pm.]

HANNAH'S VOICE: Friday, January 28th, 2005. Dear Dad, I'm too tired to write much tonight.

[Cut to scene where Hannah is on the hill with Bright about to slide down.]

HANNAH'S VOICE: (CONT'D) But it's amazing how the smallest things can change your whole outlook. I guess all you need to know that today was the perfect day.

[Bright and Hannah sit on the sled and Bright pushes them off.]

{END OF ACT FOUR}

THE END
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote