View Single Post
Old 03-07-2022, 02:22 PM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I absolutely loved this wonderful, heartfelt, and incredibly touching episode as it mainly focused on the progress that the couple that we all love so much made in their relationship, and it also showed the progress that some other couples made in this episode which we didn’t necessarily want to see. The term “reflex” was prominently featured as this theme of this episode and that term took on different meanings as the episode progressed.
Yes, I loved how the term "reflex" was used, especially when Hannah pointed out to Amy that her flinching was also a reflex. Really good stuff.

Quote:
I liked seeing the opening scene as Ephram and Amy made out in his car at a drive-in (remember drive ins? ) and it was funny “hearing” their thoughts as they both felt uncomfortable and unsure of themselves and frustrated with the lack of progress in their romantic relationship, as their mutual final thought was “I’m never going to have sex!”
Pure brilliance.

Quote:
We saw Andy and Amanda continue to flirt as they waited for their children to get out of school, and we saw Delia and Charlie approach them holding hands, indicating that they were “boyfriend and girlfriend.” We then saw old nosy Brenda Boxworth ask Amanda who was taking care of John while “Dr. Brown was talking her ear off,” and I was concerned that Brenda might have realized that something was going on between Andy and Amanda, but Amanda responded to her in a snide way and she left.
It was my first thought as well, that Brenda knew something was going on.

Quote:
We saw Jake talking to Nina at Mama Joy’s and she invited him to go to the first ice skating event in Everwood, but Jake turned her down because he had a date, and he felt uncomfortable telling her that he had a date.
I actually liked that Jake was tense and even felt badly that he had to say no to Nina because he had a date. He knew deep down the date wasn't going to work out, too, because he only wanted to date Nina. He knew this and then finally finds out during this moment Nina is interested in that second date with him.

Quote:
Back at the Abbott house we saw Harold showing Hannah pictures of Amy when she was little and she had made a pillow fort, and he mentioned the cabin that they had in the mountains, but a clearly agitated Amy wanted to talk to Hannah and they went to Amy’s room. Amy expressed her frustration with her and Ephram not taking their relationship to the next level, or any level beyond kissing, and Amy said that she would bring the topic up with Ephram in a casual way. With Amy being Amy, however, her “casual way” of bringing up the topic was to directly ask him “Why haven’t you tried to have sex with me yet?” at school and a surprised and flustered Ephram said that she didn’t seem to want to take that step as she flinched any time he touched her and she said “that’s just a reflex” and he also said that he wanted their first time to be special, but Amy said that it didn’t have to be special, and it just had to be him, (which I thought was so incredibly sweet) and she suggested that they go to the cabin that her family owned.
All of this was so perfectly displayed.

Quote:
I was glad that Ephram asked Andy for permission to go on an overnight trip with Amy, and knowing what Ephram was asking, he accepted it and he told Ephram to be careful, and you could tell that what happened with Madison was still on his mind, but he still couldn’t tell Ephram the truth, and this knowledge was weighing on him and eating him alive, and all the guilt he felt about this situation and his upcoming affair with Amanda would manifest itself when he collapsed with a bleeding ulcer. I thought that Treat Williams did a great job in conveying Andy’s anguish.
Such strong scenes between Treat and Greg as Andy and Ephram in this one.

Quote:
We then saw Ephram meet Amanda as she walked into his house and their meeting was awkward and he left, and Andy said that he was upset about what Ephram had told him and she invited him on a “play date” with her, Delia and Charlie.
I love Ephram's response to the tall comment.

Quote:
We saw Amy and Hannah reading from a book called “Guide To Getting It On” and it was so like Amy to worry and obsess about this next step in her and Ephram’s relationship, and in this scene she truly showed she was Harold’s daughter as her obsessive behavior echoed his obsessive behavior to a tee.

The “reflex” topic came up again as Amy mentioned it to Hannah, and Hannah said that maybe Amy flinching might mean that she wasn’t ready to have sex yet, and she revealed that she didn’t want to have sex until she was married, but she respected the fact that Ephram and Amy were ready to take that step in their relationship.
I love when Hannah said that topic could be named after her. LOL.

Quote:
I liked that Ephram, at the cabin, was also nervous about taking that step as he saw her childhood pictures, and his love for Amy was so evident when he went out of his way to make everything special for him and Amy at the cabin, and you could see how touched she was by his gesture, as we first saw “Grand Gesture Ephram” at his very best, and Amy even alluded to how he made their first time so special to Rose in the Series Finale, much to Rose’s discomfort.

Quote:
I liked Harold and Rose’s conversation as he expressed his concerns about how Amy was growing up too fast, but like Andy, he was also hiding a secret that concerned him, namely Madison’s pregnancy, but he couldn’t tell Rose at that point, just like Andy couldn’t tell Ephram at that point. I loved how Rose pointed out to Harold that they were only two years older than Ephram and Amy when they first got together, and Harold jokingly said “Yeah, yeah, God punished us with Bright,” and Rose responded “oh you,” and they shared a tender kiss. That scene made me wonder though if Rose was pregnant with Bright when they got married, or if Harold was just being facetious. Either way though, even though Harold’s remark was made in jest, it did reflect on the low opinion that Harold has of Bright.
That's a good point about Bright and wondering if Rose got pregnant with Bright. I hadn't thought of that.

It makes sense both Harold and Andy would be terrified of Ephram and Amy having sex knowing he impregnated Madison. He already has one child out there and he's 17ish. You can understand why they are very worried.

Quote:
We saw Andy and Amanda growing closer as she admitted that she had set up their “play date” because she wanted to see him away from John and that she had feelings for him, but Andy, struggling with his own feelings for her, said “we can’t,” as their conversation was mercifully interrupted by Delia, who had had enough of Charlie, who selfishly wouldn’t allow her to have a turn in the batting cages, and we later found out that bad influence Brittany had convinced her to have a boyfriend in the first place.
I cannot stand Charlie. I know it's just a character but still hate admitting it is a boy but man, I cannot stand him. LOL. I love that Delia despises him in the end too.

Quote:
We saw Amy cry in Ephram’s arms as she was overwhelmed by everything and she didn’t feel she was ready yet, but Ephram was completely gentle and considerate with her as he understood and allayed her fears and he told her that they could just sleep and that they didn’t have to have sex, and I loved seeing his love for her and his understanding of how she felt in that scene.

Quote:
We saw that Jake’s date was interrupted by a frantic Nina, who, unable to reach Andy, (we saw that he had ignored her call earlier) called him and he ended his date to go and help an injured Sam. We saw how gentle and kind Jake was with Sam as he stitched up his chin, and he told him a story about how something similar had happened to him when he was a kid, and that calmed Sam down and it impressed Nina, who began to see Jake in a different light.
I did like the Star Wars story.

Quote:
I loved the scene with Ephram and Amy in bed together as he teased her about snoring, and the love and intimacy between them was so incredibly moving and wonderful, and after Ephram had a “reflex” of his own when she cuddled up to him, she told Ephram that she loved him and that he knew her better than she knew herself echoing Andy’s statement to Amanda that Amy was the only creature on earth who understands Ephram and she wasn’t thinking (meaning overthinking) anymore, and she was here with him and she wasn’t scared, and they made love. I honestly think that this show handled this topic in an incredibly wonderful and realistic way, and I loved this scene so much, as it was so incredibly intimate, moving and above all sweetly romantic.

Quote:
It was funny seeing Harold and Rose talk to a very happy Amy as they both realized that her and Ephram had spent a romantic night in their cabin, after Amy said “Are we really gonna sell the cabin on the lake?” and Harold telling Rose “That place goes on the market today” was hilarious!

Quote:
We saw Andy come to see Amanda with a list of doctors to see John because he wanted to remove himself from his case due to his feelings for her, which he knew were wrong, and I wish that everything between them had ended then and there, but unfortunately for them and us, it didn’t. We saw in this episode that it was Amanda who took the next step with Andy, but Andy was ambivalent about his feelings for her because while he clearly had feelings for Amanda, he knew that what they were doing was wrong, and he was wracked with guilt about it. One thing that I’ve really noticed in this rewatch though is what an incredible actress Anne Heche was. Everwood has such a knack for finding really talented people in every role on the show. I’ve always felt that Anne Heche’s career was derailed by the Anti-Gay bias that existed at the time due to her involvement with Ellen DeGeneres, which was really so unfair.
I agree. At the time she was a pretty big movie actress too. I remember her movie with Harrison Ford. It truly is sickening that her sexuality would remotely have affected her career. It is ridiculous, especially given how things are now and and statistics of just how many in general let alone in Hollywood have various sexuality "titles" if you want to call it that.

Bottom line is her career never should have been affected but of course it was because life is cruel for all the wrong reasons sometimes.

Quote:
I loved the final scene where Ephram called Amy and their conversation, while brief, was so intimate, loving and tender and they both were so happy, and it was so sweet to see.

Quote:
Overall, I really loved this incredibly moving episode, and it was one of my favorite episodes of the entire show.
100%.

Last edited by jediwands; 03-07-2022 at 02:30 PM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote