View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 08:28 PM
CarouselUnique
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch's Best Friend (View Post)
I like every different professions Eric could do. It would be interesting to see him as a teacher though.

Donna
I enjoy writing him as a teacher (even though I don’t think it’s what I would have picked for Eric if I had any sort of say over it, as like, a five year old at the time-) for a few reasons:

- I enjoy characters who are teachers because I find teaching interesting and I enjoy how different character types fit into a teacher role. Thinking about the type of teacher Eric would be from canon and from how my post-canon speculative timeline changed him is a good way to understand how he works in some key ways.

- I’ve got a fun reoccurring within some of my drafted stories where Eric has some dorky fan paraphernalia that a teachers salary can’t afford and when it comes up how he can afford it he gets to joke about the truly ridiculous amount of alimony Jackie pays and I find the jokes that a very friendly divorced couple can make about their divorce funny and I will never let anyone forget that Jackie and Eric were married in my story.

- His wife Maggie is an editor at a publishing house and a writer/illustrator herself and I find it cute that the English Teacher married the Writer/Editor.

- I always enjoy teachers who put their niche interests into the lesson plans and Eric is exactly that type of person at least imo.

Mostly though, I enjoy it because when he takes primary custody of Jessie, Lucas and Diana from Jackie and Hyde they’re high school aged, so that means not only do the kids have to adjust at the house, they also adjust have to adjust at a new school to their father being a teacher and teaching them. It’s an interesting dynamic! I think him being a teacher to any of the groups kids, especially his own, would be very interesting. It would inform so much about their school and home lives. Sometimes it’s hard being both because you can be a bit too much of one or the other at the wrong time. Being a teacher when you need to be a father and being a father when you need to be a teacher.

And it’s fun when the kids (mostly Luke and Di) haze him at home for being their teacher. Finals week is Hell at the Forman-O’Conner household.