View Single Post
Old 01-01-2022, 01:00 PM
LilMouse
Fan Forum Legend

I saw this movie today.

I liked some things about it and other things didn't thrill me.

I did like how the 2021 version used the streets of NYC more and highlighted how building Lincoln Center was displacing a lot of residents. As someone who is from NYC (born/raised) it was a nice history lesson.

I liked that in between musical numbers the characters and relationships seemed to be fleshed out a little more. Like telling us Tony went to jail was a touch I liked.

The actress playing Maria had a really nice voice.

Costumes/sets were great.

What I was not so thrilled about was I Feel Pretty being moved to after the rumble. I read in the Broadway play that IFP is after the rumble, but I agree with the 1961 version's decision to move it to an earlier scene. After the rumble, it's jarring to have a happy, happy song.

I also prefer the performance of Cool in the 1961 version. I like how the whole Jets ensemble gets to dance to it, whereas in 2021 it seems they hold back and it's really focused on Tony/Riff facing off.

I miss the acrobatic dancing from Riff in the '61 version. But the new Riff did a good job with all the other stuff.

Tony/Maria didn't have much chemistry....but at least they had more conversations and he did take her up to the Cloisters, so they did try to show us some bonding beyond thinking the other person was attractive and that's what their love is based on.

I don't really love Spielberg's decision to not give us English subtitles whenever they spoke Spanish. And I am totally fine with the PR characters speaking Spanish amongst themselves. It's realistic. But if I didn't know the 1961 version so well, I wouldn't have known what the scene was all about, what messages they were trying to get across to each other, etc. I spent too much time trying to decipher what they were saying in these scenes that it took away from me just enjoying the scene.
Also, if there was a person who only knew Russian, or only knew Italian, or pick any language, and this person was asked to watch an English film, Russian/Italian/whatever subtitles would be provided. The Russian/Italian/whatever nationality person would not be asked to just suck it up and deal with not understanding.

That's all I got for now.