View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 09:29 AM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

Thoughts while watching

- Bright looks so off. Annoying how those "friends" essentially act like they are better than Bright.

- I just love how cute Ephram and Bright are as friends. Of course Ephram is waiting for Bright to get done with his graduation practice thing. So adorable.

- Mountains in the background, there's that special character throughout the series.

- Ephram is so Introverted. I love it.

- Theme song... gives me goosebumps always.

- I love how Nina just walks into the Brown house almost like she is meant to be in there very long-term.

- Andy kisses Nina on the side of the face.

- The Ephram and Nina talk... love it. However, Ephram, newsflash, you ARE over Madison, you loon. But you are right about one thing... it IS Amy. I love how Nina reacted to the news like it was special and important... Amy, yes, Amy, and Ephram and Amy.

- Harold losing his insurance to practice medicine is so frustrating.

- Amy likes Ephram so much, awe. I love how her stupid friends have to endure feeling the Amy and Eprahm pausing and tension. Amy is planning things inside her head which is so cute, and the chemistry between Emily and Greg circles everywhere.

- I just realized my older niece (21 years old) has very similar expressions as Emily in this scene as Amy, LOL. Like, exact. I am thinking while watching who does this remind me of? Oh, Anna.

- Even Bright tells Harold that he ran Amy out of the house. Interesting. And very true.

- Betty White has returned! How on earth did Berlanti get Betty White to guest star a few times? Amazing.

- BRIGHT: I have done plenty for this family this year already, OK. I got good grades when you told me not to bother and I kept my mouth shut when you ran Amy out of this house. For once, I'm gonna do what I wanna do, OK, so back off.

^ Sounds like Bright still has issues with Harold's past treatment of both Abbott children.

- Donald taking that shot at Andy about Colin is low, cruel and entirely uncalled for. You had no right going there, idiot.

- Kind of strange Rose would ask Harold how the insurance meeting went in front of her parents since most likely it was not a good outcome. Then she actually believed Harold that he was reinstated? Kind of weird. Plus, Rose's father has a skin infection... why wouldn't Harold just look at him in the house? Why would he need to go down to his office? That is the beauty of having a doctor in the house. Another weird situation. This entire scene is kind of bizarre and not typical Everwood.

- Nina looks SO normal and meant to be in the Brown house. I love how this episode hits home her place with the Brown's, present and certainly, future. I hate to say it but I have already forgotten about Andy and Linda.

- Amy showing up to go with Ephram to the audition is adorable. Chemistry. Oh the chemistry between these two is beautiful. They have so much more chemistry than Dawson and Joey it's actually hilarious how I ever thought Dawson and Joey had good chemistry. I had nothing else is why. I didn't have Ephram and Amy yet.

- Harold going through the fake patients at the office is kind of funny but seems unnecessary. He could have looked at his boils in the damn house.

- The gay male (and fashion) from Betty White's character obviously was meant to be funny since... Greg Berlanti. I don't even know why I pointed this out.

- Amy's speech to Ephram to get him to play is... everything.

- The meant to be comment and how close Ephram and Amy get before Ephram plays... my GOD, the chemistry!

- I love Louise.

- Treat is so good in that scene as Andy with Douglas. Such good stuff.

- Abbott family dinner, once again, brings the fireworks. LOL.

- Notice the balance of drama and comedy clearly demonstrated in this episode, going from the brain tumor storyline to Betty White's comedy but then drama as well.

- Harold having to announce to Rose's parents at the dinner table that he made up fictitious patients is sad and was avoidable. It is strange Harold didn't pull Rose aside and tell her the truth. Even more strange he couldn't have looked at boils in the house!

- Oh Ephram, you certainly are testing Amy right now, aren't you?

- Andy is a boss in the OP. Love it.

- Beautiful scene between Harold and Bright. I love how they have come together during bad moments in their lives. The parallel is significant.

- Bright's fear, cluelessness, not having a plan in life and being psyched about it is why Everowod is so relatable.

- Ephram and Amy and one of their most important scenes features a Ferris Wheel in the background. Coincidence? No chance. Only Everwood.

- I find it amazing that Amy immediately understood that Ephram knew she liked him just based on how he responded. She instantly knew. Connection. Spiritual. Meant to be.

- I love their fight. I never bought the Ephram played Amy bit though. Yes, he tried to get her to tell him how she felt because he wanted her to say the words. He told Nina, it was Amy. So he wasn't truly "playing her" even though I can see why she felt that way and Ephram said those words. Ephram did still feel hurt from S1 but at the same time given what Amy has been through in both seasons 1 and 2, I can see why she is embarrassed and hurt during this moment too. But I like the fight. It sort of concludes their tense past and now they can look forward to the future. So much chemistry. Greg and Emily sparkled in that scene together.

- I love the phone call between Ephram and Andy but it is kind of strange Ephram didn't immediately ask Andy how Douglas was.

- Love the Bright and Amy sibling bickering and how she helped him with his hat.

- Carol is so racist. How she looks at Irv like he's not even human (and he is still so nice to her) disgusts me. Betty White is phenomenal but Carol is despicable.

- Poor Harold. Insurance companies are ruthless and only out for money. They don't care about loyalty or people.

- Notice the two back-to-back Nina/Andy and Amy/Ephram scenes to close out the episode. Not a coincidence. They were so romantically constructed. Nina giving Andy food, sprinkling the same thing on his food as she puts on hers. The tension between Ephram and Amy... such great stuff. Andy/Nina and Ephram/Amy have always been Greg Berlanti's romantic pairings of Everwood and you can see it very clearly in the last two scenes for the pairings in this episode.

- Bright was so funny at Graduation. The interaction with his family and Ephram is so perfect.

Love this:

[Ephram stands and cheers as Bright walks up and gets his diploma. He stands there and lets Dr. H. Abbott video tape him. Dr. H. Abbott motions for Bright to move his tassel to the other side of his hat and Bright does so.]

NARRATOR: We're taught to remember only the significant moments – the rites of passage. In truth, the smallest steps that get us to these momentous occasions are just as significant. Looking back, we see it's not just the high points, but the low points that also define who we are and who we will become.

Thoughts after watching

I really loved this episode. The father/son dynamics of Andy/Ephram and Bright/Harold were front and center, Ephram and Amy and their magical connection was waving at the audience, Andy and Nina were once again showcased as the meant to be pairing for Andy. Overall, it was a fabulous episode. Even Betty White appeared once again which still blows me away that Everwood continued to snatch up high quality guest stars. Only Everwood. This episode certainly set up an amazing S2 finale as well.

Ephram and Amy are the true definition of a spiritual connection filled with sparks and magic. They were all over the place in this episode which made it extra special.

Irv, as the narrator, shined in this one as well as he said in the opening there are certain milestones in our lives that give us the opportunity to reflect on where we’ve been and look ahead to where we’re going. Poor Bright looked so confused and miserable at the beginning. It was sad to see how lost and distant, not to mention, forced it was seeing him interact with friends he had known his entire life. What a realistic scene. This happens after high school quite often as everyone goes in different directions, some feel hopeful, others, depressed and confused.

The scene between Andy, Douglas, Ephram, Delia and eventually, Nina, was really good. I loved seeing Ephram continue having special talks with Nina who, once again, helps him with Amy just like she did in S1. Nina, as a "mother figure" notices Ephram is distracted which, of course, is due to Amy and the grand possibility that she might like him romantically once again. I don't love how he mentioned not being over Madison (my God, make it stop) but when he told Nina it was... Amy... exactly, Ephram! I thought this scene establishes a future mother figure in Nina, the pattern of talks between Nina and Ephram, as well as Ephram (and even Nina) making it quite clear when Amy is involved, it is always massive.

Harold being rejected over and over once again is so sad. It really is true to life, insurance companies and other businesses lose humanity since it's all about the stupid dollar. The parallel between Bright and Harold, father and son, both facing uncertain futures was very interesting and I love how it only brought them together. With big life challenges you can grow closer with loved ones which fills you with hope and strength.

Amy not caring about Page's party but so nervous around Ephram and her friends even witnessing the silent pauses and tension was just great. She was so cute and what fun "hearing her think" when Ephram told her he had an audition.

The scene between Andy and Donald brought out Treat's best which is always THE very best. I didn't like how Donald brought up Andy failing with Colin. Sorry, Donald, Andy did not fail there. Stop it. I did love getting extra backstory on Andy trained by Douglas as a surgeon and their dynamic in general though. It worked out perfectly in the end once Andy got him to completely trust him and his ability to go there and hit it out of the park which he did. I was a bit shocked both Delia and Ephram weren't around for the surgery but they both did voice concern at the same time.

Carol continued to be annoying, racist, homophobic, and overall miserable but Betty White is pure gold. Now I see why Harold needed his office for Herb's boils... surgery most probably. That makes sense. But some just look at them and give medicine too. Most likely he performed some kind of procedure on him though.

The Andy/Nina scene with Nina giving Andy encouragement and sage advice on fear (which was a theme throughout the episode) was very profound. Andy and Nina are so meant to be.

Amy's words to Ephram before his audition were so sweet, telling him he was meant to play music and that is never changing regardless of the outcome of the audition and of course the "meant to be" was so profound as it related to both Ephram's future profession and his romantic relationship with Amy.

Andy convincing Donald that he was the perfect surgeon for his case and he was confident and ready to get it done was outstanding. Treat was so good in this scene. I like how Everwood found a way to continue on with Dr. Brown, the Surgeon, Everwood-style.

Another Abbott dinner which meant tension, comedy and drama. I think Rose's parents finding out about the medical practice having the insurance issue could have been avoided but that did not happen.

The Ephram and Amy scene, I already discussed but yes, this was an important one. Yes, Ephram set up the romantic setting and wanted Amy to admit her feelings for him. Yes, he says he "played her" but he really didn't... he was curious and wanted to find out if she truly liked him and he needed to find out, especially since it was Amy and he went in for the kiss as soon as he received confirmation. I loved this scene, their fighting, right with the Ferris Wheel in the background (the Ferris Wheel has shipped them since S1) and the mountains making appearances throughout their special interaction. Amy admitted her feelings, Ephram tried to kiss her, Amy, intuitively figured out he already knew... the fighting... oh the fighting... but important words were exchanged... Ephram wasn't over S1 and the pain, Amy certainly wasn't over both S1 and S2 and all that she went through which is why she said it was so tough even telling Ephram how she felt. What a scene, but I love it, fighting and all, as they exchanged words and feelings that needed to be said so they could turn the page on the past, and look at the present and bright future these two soulmates have together. So perfect. So beautiful.

I loved the talk between Bright and Harold as they both joked about killing Carol and going to prison together, LOL. It was also great how Bright decided to attend graduation since being psyched due to uncertainty was just as awesome. Both father and son have no idea what they will do in the future professionally but they bonded together and made the most of it, with hope, love and support.

Ephram calling Andy about the summer in NYC was an interesting phone call. Ephram did not call him earlier because he was upset over Amy. But now, he wanted to talk NYC and eventually about the surgery. Andy's look of concern was telling. Amazing he will miss him before he even leaves but more amazing and even heartbreaking that Andy has no idea what turmoil is actually about to happen once Madison walks into his office next episode. It's all so exciting yet sad at the same time.

Andy and Nina are shining so beautifully together in this episode. You can tell Berlanti wanted to establish, together, both Andy/Nina and Ephram/Amy as his main pairings and the roads they are on together for their happy endings. Andy and Nina acted like a true couple in this episode, I loved it so much. Nina acted like both a mother and wife, Ephram and Amy were finally coming together romantically as well. Berlanti was excited to showcase his main two romantic pairings in this episode and you could tell he was having a blast going there.

The last Ephram and Amy scene (like I said, both pairings shared back-to-back scenes, not a coincidence) was beautiful. So much tension and hope. Ephram thanking Amy for the audition was so sweet. Amy has always cared about Ephram's auditions as we will see later on in S3 as well. Their scene together was filled with tension, love, caring, hope and that gray romance they are known for... not quite friends, not quite romantic but the label does not matter since they are spiritually connected.

Bright looked so happy at graduation and I loved his interaction with friends and family. Irv's words at the end were perfection. The writing was impeccable in this one but it is Everwood so of course it was beautiful.

This episode basically carried hope and fear as the biggest theme... Ephram having hope and fear over his audition, future with Amy, Bright and his hope and fear over life after high school, Harold's hope and fear about his career, Andy having hope and fear over doing another complicated brain surgery and Ephram leaving for the summer, Amy telling Ephram how she feels. I loved the layers upon layers circling around a central theme.

I am looking forward to the finale of 2! Yes, it's going to be one that brings both light and darkness but all the same, bring it on!

Last edited by jediwands; 11-28-2021 at 11:43 AM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote