View Single Post
Old 09-27-2021, 04:12 PM
PhoenixRising
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelousToons (View Post)
oh its now prob. it was crazy that the forums kept going down. Made me a little nervous lol
FF switched servers because they were having issues with the previous server, as many people's avatars were disappearing, and other stuff. They told us that FF was gonna be down temporarily, but it turned out to be longer than we though. They're still fixing glitches from the server switch. It may take weeks or months to fix completely.

Quote:
my youngest sister and I talk about this all the time. She was the main person to make me realize all that's really wrong with Rey's character IS she's Kathleen Kennedy's somewhat author avatar. And similar to how sum1 feels about Jean Grey, I don't innately hate Rey, I wish I could like this character, but she's very poorly designed, esp. once you get to the end of the series.

Luke, despite "antiquated" writing style, hits all the marks of a good, relatable and even realistic hero. He's an example of what Marvel does wrong with Jean Grey. I don't recall her committing actual major error, having to face internal ugly within. They make her so overly perfect, even they attempt at giving her flaws, its weak sauce compared to actual flaws they'll give other heroes. All to make her some perfect chosen one, I suppose.
Yep, it's obvious that Rey is that. Luke is an avatar of Lucas to an extent, but the difference is that Lucas didn't have any agenda when creating Luke and the Star Wars mythology. He just wanted to create a story that he was inspired to write by his childhood influences, like the Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials, the samurai films of Akira Kurosawa, old World War II movies, science fiction novels like Frank Herbert's Dune, etc. He was also writing it with a post-Vietnam, post-Watergate theme. Kennedy had no inspiration, she just wanted a female character to replace Luke because she felt that Star Wars primarily appealed to men and she wanted to flip the script and make it more what she wanted it to be... but the problem is that it's not hers. She can't just come up with something of her own? Suzanne Collins created Katniss Everdeen and The Hunger Games from her own imagination, and again, she had no feminist agenda. The only reason her main character is a woman is because... duh, Collins is a woman. But the story was inspired by dystopian science fiction stories and movies she'd read and seen, and the trend of reality shows that dominated the early 2000s, along with the post-9/11 environment. In other words, she wrote it for all the right reasons, similar to Lucas.

Quote:
Rey follows the SAME problem. I don't mind her being an overly enthused plucky teen... I mind the writers NOT exploring the full scope of the zealous, overly cocky, ambitious, rebellious, plucky teen. Rey NEEDED the "evil Rey" plot, to explore how she'd handle facing darkness within herself.

How I'd have done this, in "The Last Jedi" Rey should have been swayed to the Dark Side, while Kylo Ren should have been touched by the Light Side. Then by the last film, Kylo Ren is born again but learns how to wield his demons AS his greatest weapon and one for the Light Side. Rey should discover reason to balance Dark and Light sides of the Force, then they team up, and NOT do whatever the hell that ending was... let Ben Solo live... they together start a new order called "Skywalker" THE END. That's not HARD to do.

But Rey wasn't going through the hero's journey. People like Kennedy, Abrams, and Johnson don't even like the hero's journey. Rey's storyline was more about deconstructing Luke and propping up Rey rather than actually telling a story the likes of which you'd probably make.

Quote:
Ha, that's putting it lightly imo

This is what I was kinda hinting at above, but you explore it your own way. I like the idea of that hero that's somewhat nonchalant, indifferent, or as you said "treats all as a game" because this does humanizes your hero, giving them some kind of characteristics or personality traits we've all had at some point. And while my pref is a bit different from yours (because I'd usually explore the hero's anxiety affecting them and their choices negatively), but I also greatly appreciate and feel the hero being chill about their circumstance, so it may NOT cause them anxiety. These are various ways to give substance to the hero. And adding those particular details (with the 80s nostalgia) grants an additional level of human, that brings people INTO the character.

LOL then let me say, Gunn's soul is an appalling dumpfire of a heap overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of deplorable sewage and rubbish imaginable, mangled up in tangled up knots!

Well, I'm glad we feel the same way about Gunn. I'd toss in Kevin Feige as well.

Well, the thing about Adam is that he had to learn a lot about his own humanity on the fly. He didn't have a childhood and had little time to learn all of the things about what it means to be human that we all take for granted. In the process, he possibly became even more appreciative of life and virtue more than most people, and dedicated himself to being a "champion of life," as Thanos once mockingly called him. I forgot where Adam got the nickname "God-Slayer," but perhaps I'll look it up one time. I do know he went up against some cosmic heavy hitters. But the reason that he treats the situation with Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet as a game is because, again, if he took it as seriously as some others would, he'd have difficulty going forward at all. He's afraid that he'd give in to despair or madness, so instead he remains cocky and confident, even when he's not sure of success. Fear and doubt would distract him from being able to overcome adversity, so that's the reason he gave the Surfer that response.

I think he learned the hard way when his life came crashing down around him during the whole Magus-Thanos storyline back in the 1970s to not go down that road again, where he nearly suffered a complete psychological collapse, which is what created the Magus in the first place. The writers were really intend on having him suffer as a messianic hero is expected to, so I think that's what affects Adam's behavior following his resurrection during the Infinity Gauntlet storyline and beyond, into the 1990s and 2000s. He's been there, done that, and doesn't wanna go back to that place.