View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 10:39 PM
Waldfrau
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter (View Post)
So, I'm on The Time Monster, a serial that Verity co-host and Big Finish contributor L.M. Myles thinks very highly of, and after watching it, I have to say that I share her high opinion of it

This story is quintessential Doctor Who at its whackiest best, combining time shenanigans, pseudo-historical elements, the Master, and the involvement of the full Team UNIT crew.

The relationship between Jo and Three was at its peak brilliance here, and both Pertwee and Katy Manning get to show off their charm and considerable chemistry. From Jo casually and playfully downplaying her own intelligence as a means of prodding Three for an explanation about something to both of them shutting down an argument using the 'job card' to Jo just balls-to-the-walls sacrificing herself when the Doctor hesitates, this story is a massive highlight of the Pertwee Era and a perfect example of the Three/Jo Doctor/Companion dynamic.

Conceptually, the Chronovores are awesome, and really ought to have been reused in Modern Who (the Ninth Doctor story Father's Day would've been perfect for them to appear), and tying in Greek mythology and the legend of Atlantis made the whole thing ev n more compelling. Yes, the design of Kronos' initial form isn't particularly spectacular, but I don't think it really needed to be.

I've also got to shout out the campy fun of Jo's furry/feathery jacket and multicolored Atlantean clothing and the Doctor defeating a Minotaur by playing Matador.

I vacillate between using a15 and 1-10 ranking scale depending on my mood, but for this one I'm going to use the latter and rank The Time Monster a 9 out of 10 Minotaur Matadors.
Just watched it and agree with you. Especially considering that a lot of the six parters drag on this one is especially good.

The stuff with the two tardises intersecting was great and I loved the shot with the colorful background and Kronos at the end.

And yeah, Kronos' white costume looked like an oversized cockatoo, but the ep had enough stuff to make up for it.

Also I start to get where the bat**** craziness of the New Who era masters is coming from. He's much more tangible megalomaniac than in the other episodes.
Waldfrau is offline   Reply With Quote