View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 05:14 AM
onebreath
Master Fan

There was an absolute glorious post on Reddit yesterday (on father's day of all days lmao), calling Chris out on his reaction to the character reference and just generally, pointing out reasons why he is a terrible dad/person. The points made I could not agree more with. The point made about him resenting Rory is so damn accurate. I really do think Chris sees Rory as this obstacle that came in between him and Lorelai. He really is garbage.

Quote:
He saw the character reference in the drawer and started reading. Lorelai is narrating, it's a great scene, and you see this look of anguish across Chris's face as he reads about Luke being there for Rory throughout her life. Lorelai describes him being there for Rory's birthdays and goes on to say he was the father figure in Rory's life. Chris puts his hand over his mouth and I actually feel sorry for him. I think, "Wow, this must be really hard for him to read. He's realizing that another man is more of a father to his daughter than he ever was."

But that's really not what Chris was thinking at all. No, he was thinking about Luke being with Lorelai throughout the years. He was thinking about how highly Lorelai regards Luke. He actually does not give a **** about his lack of relationship with his daughter. The issue he has with this letter is that Luke is "always there and always will be there". He's not thinking about how he's not a dependable dad, he's using this letter to fuel his jealousy of Luke's relationship to Lorelai.

It just really hits you in the face how much Chris doesn't care about being a dad. He only wants Lorelai. Perhaps underneath he even resents Rory for coming between him and Lorelai.

It's very telling that he reads a letter about Rory's reliance on Luke but can only think about himself.