View Single Post
Old 05-23-2021, 01:04 AM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

I liked this episode for one reason... Ephram. I think the guy transforms endlessly in this one episode. He learns a lot about life in general, about love, family, career, success, lack of success, sadness, disappointment, shock. If you think about it so many elements are in play here and, yes, Ephram experiences them all.

I loved the Amy/Edna interaction. I wasn't too fond of how Amy initially tried to use and manipulate her Grandmother. I like that Amy's head finally gets screwed on properly again instead of being out in fantasyland regarding Colin. Of course I loved how she also showed up for Ephram. It was so special. It meant so much to Ephram. I also love in the flashbacks we see how much Julia was a huge part of Ephram's talent playing the piano. Amy sort of takes over that role. She was there for him in this episode, she hung out in his studio while they were together romantically in Season 3 as he practiced, she fought like hell to get him a new audition after the NYC hell whether he wanted it or not. Amy always supported Ephram. Julia wanted them in Everwood. It does seem like Julia almost picked out Amy as the perfect girlfriend and love of her son's life. She knew Amy would support and be loyal to her son no matter what. That magical, spiritual component of Everwood I love so much is flashing in this episode.

I really like Andy in this episode, too. We are seeing what a great father he has become. More importantly, Andy is seeing and feeling it... not only his ability as a father but his love for simply being a father.

The Matt/Kate stuff is disgusting. I hated this storyline but simply try to remind myself that it at least helped Ephram see the light on a lot of things. This was the good aspect. Everything else sucked.

Back to Amy and Edna... I've always loved this story because of its characterization of Amy. The character's sometimes insufferable when paired with Colin to put it mildly. She shines in "Moonlight Sonata" because like I said above, she has been in a dark, clouded fantasyland for many episodes before this one. It truly is like a bright light shines upon her in this one. It was nice to see.

The case-of-the-week of course is owned by the amazing Tom Amandes. In addition to the medical mystery, Harold argues with various townsfolk about the existence of other life in the universe. Harold is at his best when he's full of comedy strutting a pompous demeanor.

The two Brown characters = why I loved this episode the most. Both were going through their own flashes of revelation and understanding, together and separately.

One thing that bothered me... Ephram's possible career path was brushed over way too quickly. The ending to this episode, with Ephram not wanting to get into piano because of what Matt ends up being and what Andy did with his gift reminds me of the fact that we really didn't get to explore much in regards to Ephram not wanting to become a professional piano player. The bottom line to this scene is that Ephram will never become Matt or Andy. Ephram will be just fine without losing who he truly is. Ephram has learned from the mistakes Andy has made. In many ways, Ephram has evolved at age 15 almost more than Andy evolved as a grown adult at this point. Ephram was already way smarter than Ephram/Madison. I feel Ephram should have known Andy was right about Madison. Ephram dating Madison due to the legal issue along with what was best for Delia just seemed like it would have come natural for Ephram to realize it simply wasn't a good idea all around. When you think about it... Matt and Madison aren’t that much different. Both are adults in a position of authority having sex/creating a pregnancy with underage teens. Gross. Didn’t like how it didn’t make sense for us to see Ephram not making the right choices since he knew better.

But anyway, back to this episode and my real point. I'm not saying that Ephram shouldn't have become a piano teacher (since it was his calling), but I do think that the show lost a little something by not exploring the issue further than that one episode later on. I feel like we lost Ephram's journey a bit as he inched closer towards becoming something special. I feel like this episode really hit on something strong and it deflated after that. I wish this building block would have continued.

Last thoughts:

- "Mom would be proud." Awe.

- Delia’s hat backwards is how I looked growing up before and after sports.

- Andy perfecting the omelette was awesome.
- Abbott family meals continue to be one of the best things about this series.

- Amy/Bright sibling bickering is great.

- Bright and his virgin alien comment was kind of weird, lol.

- Amy strutting her science knowledge reminds me of how she’d make a good doctor.

- Ephram/Amy locker scene is filled with chemistry. Amy’s heart hurts after Ephram tells her they should keep their distance. Anyone who’s in love and hears that sort of thing is going to be crushed.

- The talk between Edna/Amy was good. Amy does have tunnel vision. Edna once again points out how Amy’s her father’s daughter.

- Hate Matt. What a vile predator.

- Amy and Edna are so cute after she knew about Amy’s initial plan. They really bond in this one.

- Wonderful end scene between Andy/Ephram.

- Screw you, Matt, is right. When Ephram opens up the door and sees them together... gross. Ephram’s reaction demonstrates what a decent, passionate, caring guy he truly is.

Last edited by jediwands; 05-23-2021 at 01:21 AM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote