View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 04:41 AM
RM01
Part-Time Fan

Even though I wasn't that invested in Andie (I liked her but was way too distracted with the Dawson and Joey drama), I always thought that storyline with Andie cheating was one of the worst character assassination storylines that I've seen. It was completely out of character. At that stage I was still a casual viewer and I remember thinking "wow where is this coming from". So even for me as a casual viewer at the time felt that it was really random and it just didn't make sense given how the show presented Andie's character before that happened. She was this bubbly, quirky, smart girl that was deeply in love with someone. They obviously had to make her look bad so that it would appear as though Pacey was upgrading with Joey . I also think it was poor writing to use her mental health issues as the reason behind the cheating. If they really wanted to break them up, there were SO MANY other ways they could've done it without using contrived storylines and sacrificing the reputation of Andie's character. For example she could've moved to another country (as she did with her Italy move) and told Pacey he needs to let go of her so she can rebuild herself after the breakdown and if their paths were to cross again then it was meant to be (perfect arc to the finale scene with them having coffee-their paths have crossed again). They could've emphasised that even though it was painful for her to do it, she is letting him go because she loves him so much that she doesn't want him to waste his youthful years on him waiting for her to get better when she doesn't know when that will happen. So Andie looks selfless and mature, and Pacey is given an open path to pursue other relationships.

Anyway, I feel for the Andie fans. It's a pity what their favourite character was put through just to pave the way for PJ... I'm sure you all already know my utter detestation for that couple but here is another good reason why that pairing was wrong in so many ways even in ways which did not directly impact DJ.