View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 02:33 PM
Crystal Clear
Fan Forum Hero

^ Holy hell I forgot I posted that pic, I just scared myself whilst scrolling down

Anyway, onto a less funny and intelligent installment in the series - THE GRUDGE [2020] Get ready for my rant below this image...

I think I'm in the majority when I say that 2020's remake of Ju-On/The Grudge is just... Bad.

Now, this isn't about hating on American remakes of Japanese movies. Take note: my favorite horror movie of all time is 2002's THE RING (directed by Gore Verbinski) and I very much enjoyed/was creeped out by 2004's THE GRUDGE starring Sarah Michelle Gellar.

This is purely and simply about the way in which this newest remake/prequel/sequel (whatever the hell it's supposed to be, I'm honestly not sure) takes the entire point out of the original story by removing the story from its original location and basing the "haunted house" in America. Dear oh dear... There is no justification for this, and the new house is such a typical looking all-American family home that has no ties to anything.

The villain/threat/ghost is no longer scary. They throw in cheap jump scares and try to make up for it by using crime/sepia tone cinematography in an effort to make the film seem creepy and stylish.

Add to that how the timeline jumps all over the place, the actors barely depict any emotional investment in their characters - all of whom feel irrelevant and bland. I didn't care for the fates of anyone in the cast - I mean, how bad does a horror movie based on a creepy Japanese tale have to be for the audience to have zero sympathy for any of the victims?

Lyn Shaye makes her 1000th appearance in an American supernatural horror film. Enough said.

Oh and the final scene tries to be all suspenseful and shocking, but in fact, it plays out almost exactly like the final scene in a MUCH BETTER (Spanish) horror movie called Rec. Somebody who you are led to think is in a safe position is dragged away by someone close to them, and that's the end. No kidding.

No wonder this took so long to get made and released. It was such a pale imitation of what you think of in terms of the JU-ON legacy that I don't know why they bothered in the first place.

Wait, no don't tell me - it was purely and simply to cash in on a beloved franchise. As per usual.

0 out of 5. Not giving it a rating. I should've done the same for the terrible THE BYE BYE MAN.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote