View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 03:55 PM
Litlover73
Passionate Fan

There are some great points here. https://safflowerseason.tumblr.com/p...ogan-and-rorys

The chief problem with Logan and Rory's relationship is that they don't understand each other on a fundamental level. There is a lot of love going on between those two, for sure, but their relationship cannot be tenable and satisfying in the long run, as they will never be able to figure out what the other needs. In S6, when Rory is going through that downward spiral, he offers her his support, but never a piece of advice, bc he simply doesn't know what makes Rory click.

Absolutely - Rory and Logan clearly have a lot of love and respect for one another. Their relationship is far from dysfunctional! But Logan tends to be absent when Rory is going through a major emotional upheaval, OR his wealth allows him to give her material things that matter hugely in the moment (ex: car service, a house to write in, etc). These are signs of his care and support for Rory, certainly, and they make her life easier (which is not nothing!), but they don’t help her emotional wellbeing beyond solving immediate logistical problems.
One thing that has always stuck with me is from Vox’s GG coverage (I forget the specific article…maybe the episode-by-episode ranking) where the author noted that because of her dad’s absence in her life, Rory sees abandonment as the ultimate emotional crime a person can commit against her. As a result, Jess is the boy who bears the brunt of her anger and resentment the longest, while she’s much more forgiving with Logan in spite of his cheating and general emotional detachment, and because his absences in their relationship can be explained in socially acceptable ways (he’s the heir to a newspaper conglomerate, etc). It also explains her fallback to Dean, and her idealization of him as this perfectly reliable romantic partner even though they are a total mismatch emotionally and intellectually. (The show’s blindspot re: Dean’s red flags is a complete mystery to me…)