View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 06:52 AM
Michelson Morley
Supreme Fan

Yes, as surgery goes, cataract surgery is fairly benign. The doctor did say it would probably be a long time before I need it.

Out Of This World -- Marillion

There's a remarkable story concerning this song. (I think I may have told it before over at the other place.) It's about a land speed racer named Donald Campbell, who crashed and was killed in 1964 while trying to set a water speed record on Lake Conniston in the UK. His boat cartwheeled in the air, hit the water nose first, and sank without a trace. At the time, efforts by divers to find him or the boat were unsuccessful. The only things they found were a few pieces of debris and Mr. Whoppet, a teddy bear that Campbell always had in the cockpit with him.

In 1999, Steve Hogarth, the lead singer of Marillion, happened to watch a BBC documentary about Campbell, and was inspired to write "Out of This World". It was released on the album "Afraid of Sunlight" (one of Marillion's best, BTW). A man named Ray Smith was a fan of Marillion. He was also a professional diver. He heard the song and it inspired him to raise an expedition to dive Lake Conniston. They found the boat, right where it had come to rest in 1964, with Donald Campbell's body still strapped in the seat.

They raised the boat, and after 35 years, Donald Campbell was finally given a proper burial. The family invited Steve Hogarth to the raising of the boat and the funeral. He has written some articles about it.