View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 04:47 PM
BlondieLeigh
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleygirlsyndrome (View Post)
I agree. It isn't a good look, which, thank you for teaching me that acronym. Haha.

But, yeah, like I get emotional watching a ton of stuff, but my trauma is separate. I don't get traumatized by empathy, by osmosis. That's just not a thing. And I feel like she's trying to validate that she has more than a privileged life. It's like, you're a Hollywood actress, your life is going to be privileged, but it will also suck, because of the way the world and Hollywood treat women. I feel like if she were going to talk about her own trauma, it should be what she faced on the shows. But, she doesn't like talking about that, so to speak. But, then, she talks about it. But mostly: she talks about just her empath trauma. And it just it's so invalidating to the person whom she's interviewing who was abused or addicted or something else.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen or read the "Joan of Arc in diapers" line.

No, I don't think she learned from it. To be honest, I don't think she realizes she's still totally and completely self-righteous and imposes her views on others still. It's one thing expressing views. That's fine. I'm expressing my views right now. But, I'm not saying, I don't get why Leigh would watch One Tree Hill after Sophia's fakeness and Joy's inauthentic actions. No. But, she does that. With the : "I don't get why democrats aren't all voting for Biden." And the thing that drives me crazy, because I'm a writing tutor, and I know to never police anyone else's grammar, because it is hard enough for people to realize the degree to which they can write. Social media is off limits, in my book. That's a colloquial space that doesn't need grammar police or academic language.

She posts periodically like grammar things. One time she said she was so OCD about grammar, which, not just as someone who is in remission from OCD, but just someone who sees this actress who preaches authenticity, and then she goes, "Can you guys remember punctuation? I'm super OCD about that." (not a direct quote) But, funnily enough, as the writing tutor, I've noticed her comma placement is terrible. It just seems so rude to just periodically post a "please use grammar" meme or something, when someone tells her the timing is not right to settle for another politician like Biden and she says: "Timing is everything baby!" Or photos of her dog, "Hello sunshine!" Where's the comma?

Okay, that was kind of a crazy rant, but I guess I'm speaking for all the people I know who truly struggle with grammar and writing. Who have been told they should stick to STEM or whatever else they're good at. No one needs to hear that on social media. Especially from a supposed role-model, who has trouble placing commas herself.

Hilarie is a rarity, agreed. She talks of Hollywood as a job she loves, but she also has a life. She wants her Rhinebeck life, and she holds on to that part of her growing up, picking through her mother's garden. Reading books. Being a "square". Hell, I want that life, after reading her book. I get up at dawn, anyway. It's a fast read, Leigh, if you just want to skip to it. Finished it in a week or less or something.

And, I agree, it's so nice to talk about it. Because so many stans get into such petty grievances, and also celebrities go unchecked, and it's nice to just talk about like okay, we love them, but they can be seriously tone-deaf. Or we love this storyline, but the show had too many shock value points, and it probably shouldn't have lasted past six seasons.

Why does Buzzfeed get to do all that?

Enter: :fanforum:.
It wasn't all that long ago that I was looking it up myself

Linking empathy to trauma is ridiculous, tbh. It's essentially saying you deserve sympathy for someone else's trauma and that makes no sense at all. I don't get why she would want to try and use someone else's trauma when she has her own. There is no such thing as empath trauma, really, it just seems to be a way to make something about yourself when it shouldn't be. It absolutely does invalidate the trauma of others.

Sad that she doesn't seem to have learned from it. I have OCD, so whenever people use it to say they like something being a certain way it annoys me. That's not OCD. I like good grammar too, but I'll only ever correct it if the person in question is claiming to be more educated than experts, and that's more to point out the contradiction.

I think Hilarie's lucky in the sense that she has the option to choose if/when to work based on the morality of the company she'd be working for. A lot of people don't have that. Still, that isn't what determines her attitude.

Not really much opportunity to talk about it because stans just don't like it. People get way too invested in strangers these days.

Leigh Tumblr