View Single Post
Old 07-17-2020, 05:47 AM
Finnegan
Loyal Fan

And so our adventure does NOT end

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
Our time here on FF will come to an end on July 26th.
Anja, Sheida,

Happy 20th anniversary, and thanks again for all your work on this board over the years!

Your decision to close this board cannot be called premature, given that Fanforum's minimum-posting-volume requirements have required you two to keep this board alive for the past decade by means of non-substantive posts that have dwarfed the number of substantive posts. I pretty much ran out of new things to say about Young Americans about six years ago. Nevertheless, I wish that we had a place to talk about the show that was not subject to posting limits.

Last week, YouTube. at the request of Sony Pictures. blocked, for viewers in some countries including the USA, all Young Americans videos on my Rawley Revisited YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/IckyGrub/featured. Sony Pictures seems still not to have released the series commercially in any form -- if they had, I'd buy it and tell people about it instead of posting a French video and English soundtrack version on YouTube.

The videos have not been removed, however, and presumably still can be viewed from some countries without a VPN and from any country with a VPN.

The show can still be studied on the Rawley Revisited information fan site at http://sites.google.com/site/rawleyrevisited..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolkenfuehlen (View Post)
And so our adventure ends. And some of us found our heroes, and others uncovered their fears. And one might even say: we've triumphed.
I'm not sure if it happened that day or that summer, but somehow we all felt older, and different. I knew I'd never forget any of it, and I decided I wasn't gonna let it end.
Because I realized we're not just given life experience. We're given the experience of life.
That quote -- Krudsky's narrator's epilogue at the end of the final episode -- is brilliant, both in affirming that life is a gift, and in the switch of narration tense from present to past tens that underscores that the show is the mature Krudski's dream, not a narration in summer 2000 about events in summer 2000, as it has previously pretended, with ever-growing implausibility.

However, you will hear more about Steve Antin's Young Americans. Much more. Its afterlife has only begun.

Last edited by Finnegan; 07-23-2020 at 03:56 PM