View Single Post
Old 06-16-2020, 05:43 PM
PrincipessaBella
Part-Time Fan

Ok so now that the entire season has aired and we've seen their plan, I have some thoughts. Major spoilers ahead!

-It's incredibly obvious that they don't know how to write for Maria. She was only involved in the plot to prop up other characters and propel THEIR stories forward. Her involvement with Michael was just so they can dip their toe in, say they did their canon story and have an unnecessary love triangle. Her involvement with Isobel was so that Isobel can learn more about HER mother and HER past. Yes, obviously Maria is related to Isobel and we got a tiny glimpse into Maria's family and who she is, but the point of the story was never to focus on Maria. She wasn't even important enough to be involved in the finale after her and Michael broke up. It's very telling that their only black main character was used as a plot device for the white characters. I wish I could believe that they'll do better next season, but I doubt it. They made promises about this season and never delivered. They simply don't value Maria as a character at all.

-I have the same complaints about Kyle this season too. They didn't know what to do with him so they either threw him in to help Liz or gave him a useless love story with a girlfriend we were supposed to care about and feel sorry for, but never really got to know. The two instances he was outside of the hospital and actually engaging with characters who weren't Liz (his scenes with Isobel at Planet 7 and his scene with Alex in the finale) he shined. He can be a genuinely good character when given the chance, but he didn't get that this season.

-Liz is straight up garbage. Her behavior is beyond a flawed character, she's legitimately awful and no amount of posturing from Carina or Jeanine will change that. What she's been doing is unethical and illegal and endangers her family and friends. And to use the "perfect" Latina excuse is not a good look. The references to Tuskeegee and Henrietta Lacks also don't make this show look good, it's actually kind of head scratching to reference these, have Liz do all of this, and then write her off as being strong willed and doing it for good. Yeah no.

-I appreciate what they were trying to do with Alex at the end and the song he sang, but it just didn't work for me. Mostly because I didn't like the song and found it a bit cringy. Perhaps if they used a more acoustic, stripped down version instead of the overly produced one, it would have worked better. It just didn't feel right.

-So that's it for Jesse Manes then? That was anti-climactic after 2 seasons. But then again, he was a very anti-climactic villain.

-That Mr. Jones/stowaway reveal. Oh man. If I had a dollar for the amount of times I read on other boards and sites that it would end up being a Max twin or his father and 100% played by Nathan...I'd have a good chunk of money set aside. Apparently the writers aren't as clever as they thought, since people started guessing that after the first '47 flashback. I mean, Max isn't related to Michael or Isobel and we've met both their mothers, some of the dialogue and scenes just made it obvious they were setting up that the firestarter/stowaway was involved with Max.

-It's officially confirmed that the '47 storyline was the only good and well written storyline of the season. It was interesting and engaging and I wanted more of it. Too bad it seems like it's completely done and we're moving on to '48 and focusing on beardMax now.

-Jenna, Charlie, Diego, Helena, Flint...all took up valuable time that should have gone to other characters and to flesh out some of the plot. They weren't needed.

But yeah, overall it was a giant mess of a season. It tried to do nothing at all at the beginning and then tried to do too much while not doing anything at all at the end. Unless Jason somehow comes back for season 3, I'm done. It's not a worthwhile show to me.

Last edited by PrincipessaBella; 06-16-2020 at 05:48 PM
PrincipessaBella is offline   Reply With Quote