View Single Post
Old 05-29-2020, 02:29 PM
Ashes Fall
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by straws (View Post)
Yeah, she handled her parents leaving and losing her fortune incredibly strongly. Even on BTVS, she hid it and only Xander found out when he caught her working at a clothing store. Sad to think of her shouldering that burden alone. She wasn't close enough to anyone in SD to share it with them.
Which is one of the reasons I love BtVS CA fics so much, she has Angel in her corner.

Quote:
I'd never judge anyone doing survival sex work, or anyone choosing that line of work, and I support them, but, like you said, a lot of times they are cohered, or it is forced on them, or there's a power imbalance, etc. It's also unfortunately a dangerous line of work for many reasons, but also bc there are no laws (at least none here that I know of) to protect sex workers.
Laws to protect sex workers? I'm pretty sure sexual professions are illegals in most places, unfortunately. That, however, is another TV trope so I could be wrong.

Quote:
I read a fic where Cordy was a prostitute, as well. The one I read was really well written, but she passes away in the end.
Oh crap. In the one I read, she didn't pass away but you know she's going to as Angel insisted that she get tested for STDs and (after she agrees to do it, she'd tried to refuse but Angel had persisted) it's heavily implied that she came back HIV positive.

It's so well done though. Cordy returns to the Hyperion (I can't recall where she'd been) to find the new renovations she'd helped him with in ruins because Angel had gone into a rage after reading her test results.
It ends with them laying in bed together both scared but agreeing to make the best of what time they have.

Quote:
Oooh, never even thought of that moment as being prompted in part by TSILA. Agree about the attraction and wonder if living with her in the beginning of S2 also would've had an affect on him.
Considering that living with her would inevitably expose him to the most private and open version of herself, I have no doubt that had an effect on him. Fanfics agree.

Some good examples are: 'Friends and Neighbors' by Lysa (they're not exactly living together but are living next door to each other in adjoining apartments so close enough) and 'Sleeping with Tigers' by Califi.

Angel arguably saw more of Cordy in the--what was to--1 or 2 days that she lived in his apartment than anyone ever had in her life including her parents.

Quote:
How does City Of or Disharmony sound for our next viewing party?
Either is fine to me, but I lean towards 'Disharmony' as I've literally still only seen it the one time.
Same time same place?

they win"
- Stephen King