Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Master Fan

HP Debate/Discussion Thread #9: OotP Passage: Weak vs Strong against YKW

Remember Harry's Occlumency lesson with Professor Snape? Well, what he said made me think about this a lot ... Here's the quote on page 336 of the US edition of OotP, Chapter 24, Occlumency:

Quote:
"I told you to empty yourself of emotion!"
"Yeah? Well, I'm finding that hard at the moment," Harry snarled.
Then you will find yourself easy prey for the Dark Lord!" said Snape savagely. "Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily -- weak people, in other words -- they stand no chance against his powers! He will penetrate your mind with absurd ease, Potter!"

There is one character that worried me when I read that passage, it was like, it was written about him. (I'll post later my thoughts about that.) In your opinion, who do you think can be considered weak, who's most likely to be possesed by You Know Who, or used against Harry . . . What are your thoughts about this passage, thoughts about Harry, Snape, and other characters?

A question to ask is also, do you really think that wearing your "heart" on your sleeve is a bad thing? I think in the end that those that do just that will be essential to Voldys defeat. (By spikearrin)

Check out the Past Threads (you may post on these still):
HP Debate / Discussion Thread #1 - House Elves, opressed slaves or willing workers?
HP Debate / Discussion Thread #2 - Turning back time
HP Debate/Discussion Thread #3: Strengths and Weaknesses
Harry Potter: HP Debate/Discussion Thread #4: Will Ron Turn On Harry?
Harry Potter: HP Debate/Discussion Thread #5: Ghosts and the Afterlife
HP Debate/Discussion Thread #6: What would the HP characters ask Santa for Christmas?
HP Debate/Discussion Thread #7: How does magic work anyway?
HP Debate/Discussi on Thread #8: Animagus: Think Crookshanks is one? And Trevor?

[ 02-15-2004: Message edited Din ]

======================================================================

A Portkey has been created for this topic.
Just click on this title in the list and be transported immediately.

Last edited by * Marauder's Child *; 07-06-2004 at 04:18 PM
blueangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Elite Fan

maybe percy. actually the person i think of in this passage is ron.
roswellcharmed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Supreme Fan

I think that passage describes the way harry was in OotP...or at least at the beginning of it w/ umbridge.
But another person it reminds me of is Sirius. He seems to be wallowing a lot in (or at least dwelling upon) the past (w/ James especially). He also has a hard time controlling his emotions.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:37 PM
Master Fan

First person that jumped to my mind when I read that was Ron. And Harry obviously, but I think Ron fits the description better.

A question to ask is also, do you really think that wearing your "heart" on your sleeve is a bad thing? I think in the end that those that do just that will be essential to Voldys defeat.
Amaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Elite Fan

Actually it fits about Sirius. It's because his feelings about Harry were open that he was a clear target for Voldemort.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Absolute Fan

Neville, maybe? We know now that there's more to him than meets the eye, but I still can't imagine him being able to face Voldemort.

I don't think the passage refers to Sirius at all, because it wasn't his own weakness or emotions that got him killed. In fact, it was Harry's weakness - as Snape said, Harry couldn't control his own emotions and he allowed himself to be easily provoked, so he ended up in the Department of Mysteries and the Order had to come rescue him. Sirius was too cocky when he was fighting Bellatrix, and he did die because of it, but that's the only way Sirius was weak.
the laziest little sidekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:18 PM
Supreme Fan

I definitely don't think that Sirius was weak..but I do think he had a hard time controlling his emotions...especially in book 5. I guess that's why I thought the passage paralleled him.
But definitely the first person I thought of was Harry.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 03:11 PM
Extreme Fan

Without doubt its Sirius...
but it also made me think of Remus... not that he's really weak, nor is sirius, but just because he has a lot a sad memories and he's weak in the fysical sense.. especially after the full moon... but now that i think about it, Remus is not weak at all, he's strong i couldnt have lived through what he lived through, so big kudos to Remus *huggles him*
~*Slytherin Prefect*~
Cheermione Silverstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:15 AM
Elite Fan

I don't think Sirius is weak for expressing his feelings, but that is what ended up getting him killed. On the other hand, Dumbledore keeps saying Harry's greatest strength against Voldemort is that he can love and feel emotion, why Voldemort can't (side note: which is why I don't buy Tom ships, unless they're really angsty)
Old 02-18-2004, 01:11 PM
Ben
Obsessed Fan

I think Ron, because his emotions are really easily released. Especially when defending Hermione. He can be wound up so easily and he can be pretty irrational at times. Leaping to conclusions ad taking any opportunity to act hero.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:32 AM
Master Fan

The word I was looking for! Irrational. Ron can be like that sometimes, letting his emotions get the best of him. Act first, think later, letting others get the best of him, always winding up mad, or frustrated, or whatnot. I think he'll be an easy target for YKW, and if he doesn't start thinking logically first, than letting his emotions rule his actions, then YKW will, or can easily use him against Harry.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:41 AM
Ben
Obsessed Fan

So what's YKW?

Great minds think alike huh?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:26 AM
Master Fan

*coughI'mlazycough*

You Know Who. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2004, 02:50 PM
Extreme Fan

I hadnt thought aboutRon but it makes sense... not that he's weak or something (well in Snape's eyes everyone outside Slytherin is weak i guess) but he does get emotional quick... or at least he gets mad really quick. Ron could really make sense.
~*Slytherin Prefect*~
Cheermione Silverstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:43 PM
Elite Fan

ron does make sense. he always looses his temper when draco is being a jerk to hermione in cos..he needs to get his anger under control or voldemort could use it against him and to hurt harry. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
roswellcharmed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top